Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XP Wireless Drivers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:21 AM

Hi, I have an old Gateway Laptop (Like, before the CowBox logo old) and I have tried to install XP on it at least three times. The way it came, my friend gave it to me, with XP, a corrupted 30GB Hard Drive, and 512MB of RAM. The Hard Drive worked fine, except I would get blue Screen Errors A LOT!! Then I installed Xubuntu (Angels singing Xubuntu.. LOL) and after a few WEEKS I got sick of it, and installed XP. Now, My friend had lost the OEM XP Disk and Driver Disk a LONG time ago, so XP was a straight retail version, with SP2. No Wi-Fi. Even after downloading about 30 drivers for the damn thing, still no Wi-Fi. The laptop has since been stripped for parts, which are now somewhere in my garage. I can put it back together, and install XP AGAIN (4th or 5th time, LOL) and get some driver. I just need the damn thing to work, or else I'm going over to MAC OSX. Thanks for your help.... if you do help me.

~~~SteinPooch, ruler of the Internet. MUAHAHAHA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

looks like your BIOS might be old have a look at it see if uv got usb controllers & hubs,then have a look at ur chipset. reset as required

#3 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Well, I mean, the thing isn't THAT OLD. It supports USB and all that. The BIOS knows removable devices, or else I wouldn't have been able to install a program I needed. My Chipset was Intel Centrino Mobile Technology. Old crap. I have no clue how to reset the BIOS... and the Laptop is somewhere in my garage, along with some parts that are probably in the garbage, but I'll look for 'em.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

Could it be that this laptop of unspecified model number does not have wireless capability built in and if you want wireless you will have to get yourself a USB wireless adapter?

Wireless requires some kind of hardware and software combination. The hardware part has to be built into the MB (most modern laptops nowadays), or applied as an external piece of hardware - usually through an existing USB port.

Even if you update the BIOS to the latest if there is no internal or external wireless hardware, you will not get very far.

If you specify the model number we can look for you, or you can look yourself and find out :thumbsup: .

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

Model number 450ROG, built-in wireless. I had wireless when I loaded Xubuntu on it!!!

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

I found a manual:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/9528975.pdf

The "Turning your wireless network on ond off" looks like a good place to start.

The wireless adapter should also somehow need to show up in Device Manager under Network adapters - it XP doesn't see it it from there, it will of course never work, so if it is not there, you need to back up.

To open Device Manager, click Start, Run and enter:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

If there are any !s, Xs, or ?s in that area, troubleshoot accordingly.

A little Googling will point you to other places for how to reset the BIOS if you want to get back to factory settings.

I would not follow the advice I read that says "I shook my laptop until this little watch like battery thing came out of the CD opening". No.

Their WWW site has plenty of information and downloads to browse but you need to do some down drilling to get to your specific hardware situation.

My 'ol Gateway desktop also has no cow logos. We are pre-cow... :thumbsup:

Edited by joseibarra, 24 July 2009 - 06:25 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:42 AM

Thanks fellow pre-cow-er. (What?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users