Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System recovery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Billee

Billee

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:19 AM

Hi ,

I had a problem with my laptop & decided to do a system recovery from Acronis true image . However as it started to run somehow the cable connected to the external drive where the backup is came loosedisconnected . Ironically I've now fixed the problem . I tried to do a complete clean install from the recovery partition but when I hit f11 at startup to enter system recovery nothing happens . Is there another way to do this ?

I have a HP G6000 laptop running Vista home premium

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

Well, okay. This is an easy one. Two questions: One, is your Vista an OEM Copy? Two, is or was there a recovery partition on the hard drive, and if so, why did you put it on an external drive?

#3 Billee

Billee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:20 AM

Vista was preinstalled on the machine . Is that OEM ? I've heard the term . The recovery partition is on the hard drive . The backup I tried to use from the external drive was an Acronis image . I was going to do the restore from the Acronis image but now think I may as well do a fresh install from the recovery partition .

#4 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Oaky, that helps. The Acronis image is apparently pretty bad. You should do a fresh install from the Recovery Partition. But first, as I can guess, you MUST boot to Vista and get anything you may need off of it. THEN run the Recovery Partition. And yes, Your Vista is OEM :huh:

#5 Billee

Billee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

Thanks but I quote from my first post "but when I hit f11 at startup to enter system recovery nothing happens . Is there another way to do this ?"

#6 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Yes if you wanted to reinstall windows you would need a Vista disk. boot from that disk and install windows.
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#7 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

The button is F10 I believe. At least it is with XP.

#8 spdfrk78

spdfrk78

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

I'm having the same problem with my toshiba laptop. I've tried the F11 with no luck. The recovery disc cover says to start the laptop and hold down "C" until the logo screen is visible. Neither one has worked for me. I'll try F10.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop
Hoping to build some type of "Hot Rod" multi-media machine

#9 Billee

Billee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:07 AM

It's f11 for system recovery on my laptop & f10 to enter the bios . it's different by laptop not OS

#10 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

I don't HAVE a button for System Recovery. I just know I have a Recovery Partition. And that I've accessed it once with F10. On XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users