Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Fully Install Lexmark Printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fryups

fryups

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:37 AM

Hi, 1st post so I hope it's in the right place.

I have a new Lexmark X4650 wireless all in one printer but cannot install it properly on my Vista Home Premium Acer Laptop. I have successfully installed the printer on another laptop with no problems so the printer is set up and can see my home network from there.

On the problem laptop the installer works apparently fine but the laptop won't 'see' the printer. When I use the Lexmark menu via start/ I cannot access the "Network Configuration" utility - it says "printer files missing, please uninstall and reinstall". I've done this 3 times but always get the same message.

The laptop is a bit old, 1.6 processor, 1gb mem, Vista home premium, AVG free, Comodo free firewall. I have configured Comodo to see the printer IP address as safe.

If I type the IP address into my browser I can access the printer and see all details, including things like ink levels.

If I use the Vista 'add printer' option I reach the point where vista says 'installing printer' but always ends saying 'the printer installation failed. operation could not be completed, error code 0x00000643.'

Any help much appreciated

Edited by fryups, 19 July 2009 - 10:08 AM.
Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

Why not try and install the printer with the Lexmark disc that came with the printer?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 fryups

fryups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Tried that now 4 times and had no success on 1st 3 occasions. On 4th attempt I connected via USB and allowed windows to install the software. All went well until windows wanted Lexmark CD. I inserted the CD and it ran Lexmark setup/install which seemed to work except for the very last part - connect via wireless! Printer now works if connected via USB but I can't connect to it vi wireless from this laptop yet it works for the other one. With this laptop I consistently get the same error when adding printer the printer "installation failed. operation could not be completed, error code 0x00000643."

I can now run the wireless Lexmark setup utility but it won't see the printer, even when I manually type in the IP. However, I can see the printer when I type the IP into my web browser so presumably the printer is properly on the network.

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

Is your firewall blocking the separate spyware (backdoor trojan) that Lenmark loaded on your computer with the installation disc? Lenmark uses to see if you use their ink and their ink only (plus who knows what else they are spying on)? It's called lx_cats. It reports at least once a month (and probably on installation) to www.lxkcc1.com a lenmark owned website. Perhaps if lx_cats is firewalled it won't let your computer see the printer, I'm not sure. I DO know however that you can delete it and it won't effect your printer operation (although it may report ink low all the time). Go to the lenmark file (probably in C: program files) and delete anything that says lx_cats. There is a .exe and an .ini as well as a regitry entry.

Edited by DeathStalker, 19 July 2009 - 09:42 PM.

#5 fryups

fryups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

I don't think my firewall is blocking as you suggest and I can't find lx_cats on the computer. I have now managed to install the printer by connecting via USB (although Lexmark say don't do this) and it works fine with USB. However, I still get the same error when trying wireless. Maybe this is a Vista problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users