Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing SP1 after a clean install.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sandman512

sandman512

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Due to several problems, I decided to reinstall Vista on my laptop. The problem I am encountering is installing SP1. I am in communication(chat sessions) with Microsoft, but we have to yet resolved this issue. It appears that it is not installing due to a corrupt file. My question is what if anything can be done about this. Also, what is my worst case scenario. Any and all advice is appreciated. THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:25 AM

Greetings sandman512 :huh: .

Please try running SFC from the Vista Startup Repair per the instructions here. I'm sure MS has already had you run SFC, but I figure they might not have had you run it offline yet. Hopefully it will be helpful to correct the corrupted file issue.

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

So what have the script readers at Microsoft (non)technical (non)support had you do? I'm not really understanding how you can have a corrupt file with a clean install. Are you installing from a real Vista disc or from a computer manufacturers recovery function, either a partition or a disc you burned from a partition? If it's from a real (retail or OEM) Vista disc, then start over lol. This time make sure you select the options to format the drive and to get rid of ALL partitions (NOTE: I say again this is if you have the Vista disc from MICROSOFT, either a retail or OEM copy).

Clean install from a Microsoft DVD of Vista, OEM or Retail:

1). Unless you have a Microsoft DVD version of SP1 (Fry's gave me a disc of it lol, you can also order one from the Microsoft website, for the US it's $3.99), do NOT use the download of SP1 that you currently have. It's been giving you problems right? Down load the appropriate stand alone version, 32bit SP1 or 64 bit SP1, and burn it to a disc. Unless you have a Microsoft DVD version of SP1 (Fry's gave me a disc of it lol, you can also order one from the Microsoft website, for the US it's $3.99), do NOT use the download of SP1 that you currently have. It's been giving you problems right? If you DO have the official MS DVD of SP1, then just use it, ignore my download instructions.

2). Pop the Vista Disc in the DVD player and reboot. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key. Make sure to select format the drive and remove ALL partitions. Then keep hitting the appropriate keys when prompted and reboot when finished.

3). Once you have rebooted and are in Windows, insert your newly burned copy of the Sp1 stand alone package (or the MS official SP1 disc) and run it. Follow the prompts and reboot when it tells you. Everything will work perfectly and you will have Sp1 installed on your computer (think positively dammit lol). OS now it's time to move on to Sp2.

4). Run the appropriate System Update Readiness tool, 32 Bit SUR, or 64 Bit SUR, and reboot your computer.

5). Download and save (again I'd burn a disc, but you don't have to) the appropriate stand alone version of SP2. 32 bit SP2 or 64 bit SP2.

5). Run the appropriate version of SP-2 and reboot. You now have all updates from the release of Vista until sometime in May.

6). Use the update feature and get the rest of the updates you don't have.

Let me know if this works or there is something I told you to do that you can't do (for instance , you don't HAVE a Vista disc, you are using a partition).

Edited by DeathStalker, 19 July 2009 - 12:32 AM.

#4 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

Good morining. i am reinstalling from a reinstalltion DVD. The install went clean, but for some reason the SP1 install wont. MSN is having me do a ton of different things to work this out. The last error I just got was 8024200D. Thanks!

#5 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Update, I decided to restart the computer. After doing that, the task bar still showed the SP1 update pending. Tried that and it FAILED. So, I previously downloaded the SP1 stand alone update, I ran it and it worked. Go figure. Now to put all my settings back to the way they were.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

The (non)technical (non)support script readers aren't idiots, they just don't know anything lol. The problem was that in order to install SP1 from the download site, you had to install 2 previous updates first. I started to take you that route and thought why confuse things? The stand alone version of SP1 HAS those updates included.

Your error number 8024200D confirms what I said about the two updates needed first to install SP1. I'm a self trained dummy lol and I know that, why don't the PAID so called professionals at the MS helpline?

#7 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the guidance. Hopefully I wont have any further issues. Thanks! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users