Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checksum Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bojag

Bojag

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

I'm working on a family member's computer. The whole thing stopped working receiving video. I got the video to work fine, and when the screen came on it said:

" Award BootBlockBIOS v1.0
BIOS ROM checksum error
Detecting IDE ATAPI device
Found CRROM try to boot from it...Fail
Detecting floppy Drive A

INSERT SYSTEM DISC PRESS ENTER"

And loops that when i press Enter. I did the basic things such as removing the cmos and detatching the HDD and all of that and it's still having errors HELP!

The computer is a HP Pavilion A1210 with an AMd processor and SATA Harddrive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

It sounds like the hard drive has completely failed.

A new or different HD should fix it but it will require reinstalling Windows.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Bojag

Bojag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

It's not the Harddrive, tried a perfectly working SATA from another computer that worked fine. I'm thinking I need to reinstall the BIOS, I just need to find it

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Sounds like a new CMOS battery is needed, IMO. I try the cheap, easy stuff...before moving on to more complex alternatives.

CMOS Checksum Errors - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

FWIW: There's no need to write down CMOS settings...that was required some time ago, technology has moved forward.

Louis

#5 Bojag

Bojag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Replaces the CMOS completely and still is giving me the same issues. Put in a new Hard drive and am havinmg problems. I'm thinking it might need to completely reinstalling the BIOS

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Unless you can get it to post & boot off of a floppy drive or CD you aren't going to reflash the BIOS.

Have you tried to access the bios setup ?

If you can get in the bios check the time/date & make sure they are right.
Load the defalts & exit saving the changes.

If you can not get in the bios figure on replacing the motherboard.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Bojag

Bojag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

All the BIOS does is check a CD or Floppy drives to reflash the BIOS so if I can get the file on a CD I can do a reflash but that is the only thing the computer DOES do.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

Sooo...are you saying that you cannot enter the BIOS...even after changing CMOS battery?

Louis

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

You need a Windows 98 boot disk ,

http://1gighost.com/ed/brandy/boot98se.exe

You either need to make the floppy boot disk & put the flash utility + bios file on another floppy or burn all the boot disk files & the flash utility + bios file to a CD

Boot from the boot disk to the A:|> prompt
[iy you used a floppy change disks now]

You will then type in the name of the flash utility & bios file then press enter.

Example : If the unit has Award bios you would type: aflash 1014tc.rom [not a real bios] & press Enter.

If you can get the bios to flash you are good to go but I wouldn't count on it to heavily.
It is very odd for the bios to bevome corrupt unless a bios virus has been aquired.
]I've been fixing computers a long time & have only seen 1 motherboard with a verified bios virus]

#10 Bojag

Bojag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Sooo...are you saying that you cannot enter the BIOS...even after changing CMOS battery?

Louis

Yes, I changed the CMOS, reset the CMOS with Jumpers, checked another harddrive. None of it works, all I get prompts for is either to insert a cd or floppy (the computer doesn't have a floppy drive) I'm assuming to reflash but I'm not sure. But I have no control of BIOS

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

After you changed the battery...did you try resettting the CMOS defaults? Did you reset the clock and date?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users