Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Home Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 too_sly

too_sly

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:25 PM

I have a laptop running windows 2000, with a wireless 802.11g pcmcia card and a desktop running xp pro. I have a linksys wireless hub. I have everything working the way I want it, except for security. How do I stop people within range of my wireless network, from stealing internet from me? I tried to set it up once and confused myself and both computers.

On a side note what can I use to see if someone in my apartment area is on my network?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:38 PM

There are several forms of encrytion that you can use to secure your network. The most common is WEP 128 Bit encryption. I believe you can access a linksys router by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser. You should get a control panel for the router. Inside the control panel(on my belkin you can do this) you can look at the DHCP client list and see who is on your network. Or you could just go into your network places and viewing the MSHOME network i think.

#3 simplejohn

simplejohn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

Hey too_sly

Instead of encrypting your connection, you can define in your router, through the web interface, that only dedicated MAC address (Unique address of each LAN card) will be able to gain access to the network.

the advantage of this method that it dose not effect your data transfer speed, (when encryption does). the disadvantage is that people, who really want to bug you, will be able, with th right software, to sniff and "listen" to your data transmissions - but still, if you don't have TOP SECRET data on your computer, who cares ?!?!

Good luck

#4 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:34 AM

On a side note what can I use to see if someone in my apartment area is on my network?

You can always use a small program called "Airsnort" To see "Open" wireless networks. For your own network run a program like "Ethereal" its a network protocol analyzer. You can see everything or Body that is connected to your Box! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users