Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sun Microsystems

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

Is jre-6u14-windows-1586-iftw.exe good/bad/or may be. I have Java 6 update 11 on board now. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

Updated versions of Java patch up problems with the older versions that make your computer more vulnerable to infection from virusses. So in a sense, yes, it is good to always have the latest version installed.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

You can install the latest version of Java by going to the Windows Control Panel, then click Java. Go to the Update Tab, then click Check For Updates
Computer Pro

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

I don't have Java in control panel but do have it in add and remove.

#5 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

If you're looking for instructions on how to update Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)" JRE 6 Update 14.
  • Click the Download button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u14-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
-- If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
-- If you choose to update via the Java applet in Control Panel, uncheck the option to install the Toolbar unless you want it.
-- The uninstaller incorporated in this release removes previous Updates 10 and above, but does not remove older versions, so they still need to be removed manually.

Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click Ok and reboot your computer.

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for getting back aommaster. I down loaded as you instructed, it's on my desktop. I tried to remove the old Jave 6-11 from the add/remove programs and all I got was a message.(fatal error during installation). I it would not remove. I run a search and couldn't find Java.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

Actually, Sun has upgraded their update procedure and you no longer have to uninstall old versions of Java when installing the latest version. This started with the latest version.

#8 txgoogoo

txgoogoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

Besides Java update 14, I have updates 2,3,4,5,7. Can I safely remove
these prior updates with Revo Uninstaller or Control panel without
consequences with update 14 being already installed?

#9 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

Yes, you should be able to do that with no problem at all :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png

#10 txgoogoo

txgoogoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

Yes, you should be able to do that with no problem at all :thumbsup:

I have 5 versions of Microsoft.net framework also. I have 3.5SP1,3.0,2.0,1.1,1.0.
One person in a different thread said it was safe to remove the earlier versions and
another said that certain programs require certain versions to run and if I remember
right, that one could always have the earlier versions installed if needed to run certain programs
so I am still straddling the fence before I get trigger happy. I am trying to prune my system
from unneeded and used programs and startups,ect. Thanks for the previous advice. I am
sure that a lot of people are in the same boat as I with Java and Net Framework.

#11 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Keep all versions of the .Net Framework, as unlike with Java where you can remove the old update and install the new one, in .Net Framework, each update builds onto the next, so say without 3.0, 3.5 SP1 might not be able to run some programs correctly.
Computer Pro

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Okay I still don't know how to install the new Jave updates 11, and or why I can't remove the old one, weather or not I should. I should be able to remove any thing with out formating. May be I'm asking for too much.

#13 txgoogoo

txgoogoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:40 PM

I removed all the old versions with Revo Uninstaller and
I couldn't believe all the registry entries and other remaining
files that were removed. Seems a little zippier and no side effects so far.
I decided to keep all the net framework versions as advised.

#14 txgoogoo

txgoogoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=7008

The above link talks about having different versions of
.Net Framework and what not to do. Very similar to the
advice proffered here. It just came out today. I have
been very impressed with the quality and timeliness of
help offered at this board. It is hard to leave and keep up
with other board forums I follow. I haven't even been able to Check out the Vista forum on this board.

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Okay I still don't know how to install the new Jave updates 11, and or why I can't remove the old one, weather or not I should. I should be able to remove any thing with out formating. May be I'm asking for too much.

I didn't see where you posted before that you couldn't install the new version--are you getting any error messages when installing or trying to uninstall the old? In any event I suggest running the MSI CleanUp Utility as it seems obvious you don't have accesss to uninstall information thru Add/Remove. Go to the following page and follow the instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

When you have installed the utility, open it and look for anything Java and Sun to clean up.

Then conduct an offline installation of Java similar to the instructions provided by aommaster in Post #5--offline installation is the surest way to install Java. Using the Updater or online installers are more prone to failure. In your first post you list the file name jre-6u14-windows-1586-iftw.exe. If I'm not mistaken, that is the online installer--the file I saved to the hard drive and used to install offline is jre-6u14-windows-i586-s.exe.

The following page is a bit more user friendly: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

So, down the page a bit, be sure to chose the offline installation (second one) and be sure that your OS is 2000/XP or later--if you're running an earlier OS let me know. Then choose to save the file to your desktop or your preferred location on your hard drive. Once the download is complete, be sure to close your browser(s) before you run the installation file.

Or if the file you previously saved is jre-6u14-windows-i586-s.exe and is 15.6 MB, you can just run it and skip the downloading steps.

Sun's instructions are pretty good so you might want to read over them too before you start: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/windo...ne_download.xml

Uncheck any bundles--I think it is still the Yahoo toolbar. Then go to the verification page if all is successful and let us know how it went.

Updated versions of Java patch up problems with the older versions that make your computer more vulnerable to infection from virusses. So in a sense, yes, it is good to always have the latest version installed.

Not just in a sense, but, for the reasons you cited, it is imperative to have the latest versions of Java and other common/popular programs, such as Adobe Reader, updated, as malware will exploit security holes that are patched by updates. Updating Java, and uninstalling old versions, has become standard procedure in the malware removal forums. This is because Vundo was known to install on systems that still had old versions of Java installed. Victims may have had the latest version of Java but Java allowed older, unpatched versions to remain on the system and, worse, allowed those older versions to be called on to run instead of the patched versions. There is a bit more about that situation here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowg...?showentry=1333

That all started a couple of years ago. As stated in an edit at the top of Mow Green's blog posting, Java now removes older, vulnerable versions. I haven't verified this, or if it removes all older versions, but if true it would mean that it is not as important for this to be a standard procedure in the malware removal forum--and for people in general. I think it may have been a particularly old verison of Java that was being exploited by Vundo, but that's a guess. In any event, it is always best to have the latest version to be more secure and if there are any old versions around, for home users, they shouldn't be needed and will free up some space if nothing else when uninstalled.

I have some other comments and questions of my own, but will get to them later as I need to post this now. :thumbsup:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users