Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

all of my programs keep closing.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 abbeylands

abbeylands

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

Hello, I don't know if anyone can help me but any time that i go onto my laptop it closes down every program after 5 seconds with the message 'This program has encoutered and error and has to close do you want to send an error message' after this the program closes down. I don't know what to do. also whenever i turn my computer off it suddenly goes after logging off and shows that it's shutting down, it shows me a blue screen error and then restarts. I have tried a system restore and i don't know what to do. The only program that i can get running for a long time is realplayer when it automatically starts playing a dvd. The laptop is a Acer Aspire 5610 media center edition. i have already tried malwarebytes to no effect.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Is the only error message you receive...what you quoted in your first post?

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD? Do you have recovery/restore CDs provided by Acer?

Louis

#3 abbeylands

abbeylands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

hi basically the error message that appears is the one that says do you want to send an error messag i can't get it now beacuse i'm on a friends computer however i have other information. Firsly when i try to run my computer in safe mode it just shows on the screen a load of drivers and stays like that until i hold down the power button to turn it off e.g
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ql1080.sys The bit in bold is the only part that changes apart from the fact that for some of them drivers has only the 1st letter as a capital.
Secondly when i run an error checking on C: my computer works normally afterward as i have tried it twice. on the second one i recored what it showed when checking '\WINDOW\bthservdp.dat first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated', this was the only message that appeared other than the normal disk check display.
Many thanks

#4 abbeylands

abbeylands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

I don't have the disks, either, is there anything else I can do

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

I don't know...it seems to me that you are missing the most basic tools for repairing/troubleshooting any problems in XP (since you don't have the ability to reinstall, restore, or do a repair install of the operating system.

My guess (strictly that) would be that this file (Ql1080.sys) is damaged/corrupted and needs to be replaced.

Info on the other file mentioned: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...02112049AAlSNLk

I see two copies of the ql1080.sys file on my system: one in the C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder and the other in the C:\Windows\DriverCache\i386\driver.cab

I would have to assume that the file being used by the system is the one in the dllcache folder.

Files in a .cab file are compressed...you would have decompress the cab and extract the file in order to use it to replace what may be a damaged ql1080.sys file. The following link describes the needed procedure.

Since it seems that you cannot boot into XP and do anything useful...I don't know how useful this will be for you.

In theory, I would simply rename the old file and replace it with a new one, after extraction from the .cab file.

Perhaps someone else can suggest something more constructive.

Louis

#6 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

Louis, your idea is exacty what I would do too, except I would backup the original file in some folder somewhere, renamed, of course. Abbey, didn't you say that you can boot to XP after running an Error Check? Because then you could repalce the old file. (As long as Windows would let you.) And the only way to get to DLLCache would be to Enable Veiwing of Hidden Files and Folders.... from the View Options in Windows Explorer. Then just replace the file, and you will be all set to go. Hopefully. Just write back if you still get boot errors.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

FWIW: I always have all files (system, hidden, and otherwise) visible on my systems from initial setup.

I've never understood the logic behind hidden files and I've never pretended that it was a smart way to go.

Louis

#8 abbeylands

abbeylands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

hi it's not just 1 driver that's listed when i try to start it in safe mode it's a whole screen of them.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

Soooo...you are saying that your boot screen pauses when it's loading drivers?

Does the system ever boot into Windows? Normal mode? Safe mode?

I'm trying to make sense of what you have written...it doesn't make sense at all to me now.

Either the system boots properly into Windows...or it doesn't.

Let's just focus on that one point right now.

Louis

#10 abbeylands

abbeylands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

it loads when i just run it normally although all of the programs keep closing.
When i start it with a C: drive disk check my computer works fine
When i try to start it in safe mode it gives me a list of drivers and freezes

#11 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

Abbey, you have said in earlier posts that you CAN get into Windows occasionally. Now you are saying you CAN'T. My advice is to make a driver CD on a different computer. Boot into Safe Mode, and write down all the drivers it shows you. Then, on another computer, (maybe a friends, or another one of yours, if you have one,) pop in a blank CD, and go to your PC Manufacturors web site, and find where the Driver downloads are. Then, just download the Drivers you NEED (whatever your computer says...) and put the files on a CD. Then, try to get into Windows through Safe Mode, Normal Mode, or some other mode, or even take it into the computer shop and give them the Driver Disk. Then just wait (if it's at a shop.) Hopefully, your Windows will work like new. Or like it did before your Drivers corrupted. That's the only good advice I can give you before a re-format. Or a switch to Ubuntu.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

The next time the system boots into XP...Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter.

Type Y in response to onscreen query...and hit Enter.

Reboot the system, the chkdsk /r will run to completion and then boot automatically into XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users