Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My mobo killed My cpu?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

I ordered up these components from new egg:
Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0
AMD Phenom II X4 955
2x2gb G-skill DDR3 1600

I just installed then yesterday night,it booted,Everything was fine,I installed windows 7 x64 RC1,After about 1.5 Hrs runtime,total,it completely crashed,no BSOD,nothing,Upon attempted turn on,it lights the led fans for about a tenth of a sec,the cpu fan tries to turn gets about a 1/4 of a revolution and a green led on the mobo stays lit,no post,no beeps,nothing,the cpu also don't wok in another mobo,but that one gives beeps and runs its HDDs up along with system fans.
Please help,I am probably going to get an RMA on the 115$ mobo and 250$ CPU,do you guys think it also killed my 70$ ram?\
During computer operation the Cpu idled at about 30C...Wait...I had HWmonitor running during the crash,Ill go get the HDD and check the numbers.

EDIT:HWmonitor recorded no problems,temps were not too much above normal,40C cpu,1.1V at the time of the crash,sounds to me like it was at 100% CPU output at the time of the crash...strange.....

Edited by sonicjet, 18 July 2009 - 08:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

My first thought is what kind, brand & model , power supply did you use.

My second thought is PMA a;; of it !

[Then get a Intel setup :thumbsup: ]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

Cooler master 460 watt elite power,I confirmed that this was in full operation and is outputting a constant 12V DC,According to reviews its best in the less than 60$ range.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

All I can tell you is if I turn my computer on & everything fries the only other thing I would hook to the power supply would be a trash can.

As for being operational many times a power supply can appear to work & be bad.

BTW, It's highly unlikely that your MOTHERBOARD killed your CPU.
More like the power supply killed BOTH.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 18 July 2009 - 08:11 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:30 AM

It did not instantly fry,it was fully operational for about and hour and a half,all voltages were perfect on all systems.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:41 AM

Most things work perfect until they fail.

Please don't allow me to discourage you from risking expensive components by hooking them to a questionable power supply.
After all, It did work perfect right up to the second everything fried.

#7 sokoll99

sokoll99

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

If you are getting the components replaced for free it would probably not be smart to use the same power supply...one other thing to check on desktops alot of the power supplies have a switch that allows them to run with either 220V AC input current or 120V. Sometimes when it comes from the factory this switch gets jogged so it is in between voltage settings. I kind of doubt that is the case here because your fan is still trying to run and that probably would not happen if the switch was a problem.

One other little item I have had difficultly with in the past is swaping cpus from one board to the next. I ran into an issue once where the bios needed to be updated before I could get the machine to boot normally. Again it is a real long shot cause it does sound like it is fried but might be worth checking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users