Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons disappearing from Stat menu and deskop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dark19

Dark19

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

Hi all,

Recently I got a netbook as a present and after a month of use i start having a problem...At start i noticed that some icons were missing from my deskop i thought i might have deleted them and dont remember it but today i went at start menu and then at all programms and saw several icons missing like my antivirus.I went at My computer->C->program files and everything was ok.My programms that were missing were there but not at my start menu.I used nod32 to check for any virus but nothing.I used malwarebyte Anti-malware and nothing again...i can post the log if you need it.Oh and something else i noticed that when i tried to boot my computer on safe mode the language was "chinese" to me when it was supposed to be greek.

My OS is windows XP home edition(greek) SP2(hadnt time to update to SP3 and this is the only update i miss from windows)
HP Intel atom at 1.6Ghz 1gb ram

Thanks for any help in advance

PS1.I used malwarebyte at safe mode too and nothing again..
PS2: after restarting my netbook malwarebyte shortcut icons disappeared from start menu and deskop at same time...

Edited by Dark19, 18 July 2009 - 06:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dark19

Dark19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

And something new....I just went at administrative tools(i am the administrator) and i saw just an empty folder :thumbsup:
no tools at all(event viewer etc.)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

Have you tried taking a look from safe mode (just to see if it functions correctly)?

Any previous indication of possible hard drive or memory problems? Related error messages?

Does the BIOS properly reflect data as it should?

When you received this sytem...did you replace the CMOS battery?

Louis

#4 Dark19

Dark19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Yes i have microsoft XP install cd but my netbook dont have dvd player (i was going to create a usb stick for format use only).

And i reboot at safe mode and the same problems remain (icons missing from start menu,folders misssing)
No error messages,no hard drive/memory problems,you see my netbook is 3-4 weeks old only and i use it only for internet.

No i did not replace the CMOS battery

Edited by Dark19, 18 July 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#5 Dark19

Dark19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

I just recover my netbook back to 5 days ago and everything seems normal....I dont believe i didnt think of recovering..So thanks for the fast reply Louis and if something happens i will inform you

Keep up the good work,you are all the best!!!!!!!!!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users