Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding My Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kaze

Kaze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

Hello, I am new to these forums and have a question about my motherboard. My family has a computer that we bought from a good friend of ours a few years ago (maybe 3 or 4 years). We are thinking about upgrading its video card, the RAM and getting a new processor.

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
RAM: 265MB
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.60 GHz

I have a few friends that know more about computers than me so I asked them to throw a few suggestions my way. I found the video card, I know that I have to know what kind of motherboard I have to find RAM that will work with it. The only problem is, I can't find the motherboard. I looked under Device Manager and looked at the Computer category and I assumed whatever was under it was my motherboard. I go to newegg.com and type in: ACPI Uniprocessor PC and it didn't come up with anything.

The main thing I want to know is this: can you find what kind of motherboard you have by using some diagnostics program or do you have to open the PC to find it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maj.stiffy

maj.stiffy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

the motherboard is most likely the green or brown board that has everything inside you case hooked up to it with some sort of wire, etc. i would tell you right now that the best thing for you to do is find a friend that can show you how to install what you are wanting to buy. i'm not trying to be rude, but instead am trying to save you from possibly frying something. there is a utility that will tell you what mobo you are using for purposes of buying memory: http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

use that link to download the cpu z app. unzip the file and open the .exe file. you can do research on what hardware is compatible with your computer with the info you get from the app

good luck
maj.stiffy

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:59 PM

You can also use Everest, which is a free download, and will provide more information about the hardward and software installed on your computer than you would care to know.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1?=en

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Kaze

Kaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:17 PM

Thank you both for your helpful replys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users