Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icon removal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

Hey. I download a lot of demos, and end up with many icons. Just recently, I am unable to delete some of these icons, I get an error message that states: Cannot delete file. There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use.
I use remove programs. Gone into c drive and remove all files I can find there. Still no luck. I don't think I have any malware. I use all of the apps, and have all the latest updates, recommended here at BC.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

Try deleting them in safe mode.

#3 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

I've been away for the past week. Thanks for your reply. I tried deleting the icons in safe mode. No luck! :thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:23 PM

Where are the icons, you're trying to delete, located?
If they're in the Add/Remove menu, see if this tutorial helps:
How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add Remove Programs List
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:42 PM

You can always use this registry tweak.

This is a tool that will let you add a value to the right click menu called delete on reboot. This will get rid of stubborn files that refuse to be deleted such as, uninstalled applications, viruses, and much more.

Download This Registry File
http://www.techsomething.net/Downloads/regedit.rar

Save the file to your desktop and once it is downloaded, right click it and click merge. You will get a message that confirms your actions, click ok. It will then merge. And from there on out, there will be a delete on reboot key whenever you right click a file.

In this case, you can right click the icons select delete on reboot, and then reboot your computer and it will be gone.

Note: you need winrar, to extract the file and run it.

#6 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

Download This Registry File
http://www.techsomething.net/Downloads/regedit.rar

Your link does not work. I would like to get this file also.

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

Odd, it works for me.

Try going to the actual article here:
http://www.techsomething.net/SystemDeleteOnReboot.htm

and clicking the download link.

and you need winrar to extract it.

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:45 AM

Hi guys. You can make your own reg file to do this. Have a look at this post by Lobos:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...elete+on+reboot

Please make note of two things:

1. Use delete on reboot with extreme caution. Once you delete a file with this method you won't be able to go to the Recycle Bin to get it back if you make a mistake.

2. This file is only for XP/2000. Not really sure why it won't work on 9x/ME, but will try to look into it. But there are also several delete on reboot utility programs available that should work on all systems. Members of the HJT Team use KillBox regularly. The same caution should be applied with this app also. You can't back out of deleting a file once you click on delete without editing the registry.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#9 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

I'll try each of these in turn, and reply in this post, whether or not these procedures removed the icons.
To answer tg1911, the icons are on my desktop.
Thanks for all the info. This is exactly why I like BC forums. I get timely answers, and I'm always learning from you guys. :thumbsup:
For newbies like me :flowers: the info is invaluable!
......dpb.......

#10 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

No problem. :thumbsup: Delete on reboot should do the trick but I'm curious why you would get a sharing violation error for icons. So letting us know would be great. Especially if you get a messge that a file could not be found to be started. You may have a process associated with one of the uninstalled programs that is still running.

Just FYI:
http://gethelp.devx.com/techtips/nt_pro/10...s/10min0600.asp

You know we all learn from interesting questions like this. :flowers:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#11 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

Hey. I tried all the methods recommended. Thanks!
The "Removing entries in the Add/Remove Programs List" did a good job. :thumbsup:
The file at 'techsomething' I couldn't get to work.
The delete on reboot from BC downloaded and seemed to be working but, after restarting my pc, the icons were not removed :flowers:
Any other ideas is appreciated.
.........dpb.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users