Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC vs Mac

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

So, what is truly the difference between a pc and a mac besides that one uses windows and the other one doesnt.
Is one better for something like gaming over the other or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

Mostly a matter of preference.

The majority use PC's with Windows because everything works on them.

Manufacturers have gotten better at making stuff that works on mad's though.

BTW, Somebody will probably come up with the old "Macs don't get viruses" dig.

That is fairly true.
Mac viruses are rarte simply because they aren't woryh the effort.
A person that is mean enough to make a virus is going after the majority, not the 8% that use macs.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 18 July 2009 - 08:09 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

Is one necessarily faster than the other one?

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

If each had the exact same spec CPU, amount & speed of memory, & the same hard drive they would probably perform about the same.

You know there are 2 "macs" now.
1 is a true Mac . The other is a Mac case with a intel motherboard & CPU running Windows [a PC with the Mac look & name]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 19 July 2009 - 01:35 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

I didn't know there were 2 types of macs.

Why do macs cost a whole lot more than if everything is pretty much the same?

#6 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

I didn't know there were 2 types of macs.

Why do macs cost a whole lot more than if everything is pretty much the same?

1: there isn't,it was a metaphor.

2:
A mac quality is way better:AKA higher payed workers,Apple designed parts such as the cases/feel,mod-ed motherboard,and the like.
B The mac can get a premium because of its OS: fellow windows users,like me,admit it,OSX is better than windows for the average user,its more practical,even more eye pleasing ,most users don't know what DOS and "Administrator rights" are,and don't need to,they just want to do what they want to do:browse the internet,make videos for youtube and finish that report,without spending 5 hours downloading programs,updating drivers,and clearing out bloatware!

Technically the windows is better than the mac for gaming because the games that are main stream are windows only,the idea of the mac is the fact that it is more user centric than vista or even 7,it is designed to do those things mentioned above,not like windows,windows is...less user centric,I mean its great for gaming...to a point(it is kinda limiting...like the ram cost and cpu taxing,plus the whole 32 bit problem),business,and allows lower pricing due to market competition.
Macs aren't for everyone due to that reason...my gaming obsession forces me to buy a windows PC...but the mac does have a last laugh,they too can run windows,thus making the Mac superior if you have the money

Edited by sonicjet, 19 July 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#7 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Well I don't really use gaming ever (unless playing games on the internet count).

My main purpose is just for using the internet and writing papers for college and such, like you mentioned earlier.
So if I was going to get a new home console or a laptop, then macs would probably be the better choice in this case then right?

#8 604action

604action

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

Getting a pc is very common and easy to find things that work with a pc. Posted Image
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”
(Nytwind)

#9 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

Yes,a macbook would probably be better for you....hmm I used to have a site that sold refurbished macs for ridiculous low prices....
Ahh here it is look at this mac: http://www.gainsaver.com/Catalog/Detail.as...p;cICode=111547
For that Mac to be usefull it will be needed to be upgraded to 2 or 4gb ram,then the airport card installed.

If you do get a mac then get this program:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua-Intel.html
Its like Microsoft office but is free.

Edited by sonicjet, 20 July 2009 - 04:55 AM.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

Many think a Mac is better based on cost.
A Mac costs more then a PC so it must be better.

That is flawed reasoning.

The reason Macs cost more is simple.
The don't manufacturer their proprietary components [motherboard,CPU,etc.] in large enough quantities to bring the price down.
as an example,every brand name PC manufacturer & virtualy all home builders use either Intel or AMD CPU's.
That means Intel & AMD sell boat loads of CPU's compared to Mac.
A simple rule of business is the co that buys the most materials gets the best price.

One of the big selling points of a Mac is that they don't get anywhere near the viruses that a PC does.
That is actually true simply because most viruses are aimed at the largest possible number of victims.
In this case that would be PC's .
Saying a Mac gets less viruses is like saying lime green cars are in less accidents then red cars.

A PC running Linux is less likely to get a virus then a Mac.

#11 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Many think a Mac is better based on cost.
A Mac costs more then a PC so it must be better.

That is flawed reasoning.

The reason Macs cost more is simple.
The don't manufacturer their proprietary components [motherboard,CPU,etc.] in large enough quantities to bring the price down.
as an example,every brand name PC manufacturer & virtualy all home builders use either Intel or AMD CPU's.
That means Intel & AMD sell boat loads of CPU's compared to Mac.

Uhh,I really hate to brake it to ya...but ....Macs have used Intel C2D's for 5 years!
Now the MoBo is more expensive,because it has to be designed for their EFI,non bios setup,of which is better than bios because it uses the CPU to run everything.
And macs are safer because they are like saying your car is safer because you live in a land of no other drivers and all flat roads,Macs don't get virus's because there are none for it (all malware,no real virus)

Edited by sonicjet, 20 July 2009 - 05:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users