Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

Hello,

I have tried everything to fix my computer. It has been slow for a long time now and I have not had much success. It takes about 5 minutes to get the computer started and another minute or two to load up the internet.

I have cleaned for viruses, defraged, deleted old things, etc.

I have 77% free on my C drive.
I have 224 mb of Ram.

I was wondering if the ram being to low is a problem? My computer knowledge is limited to a few things like clearing off my virses and running msconfig to unselect the items that did not need to load.

Any help/advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:29 AM

"I have 224 mb of Ram"

Tou more then likely actually have 256MB of memory but 32MB is being used for onboard video .

Yes, you could definatly use more memory !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:12 AM

Next time you start your computer, before opening any programs, right click on the taskbar and select taskmanager. Click on the performance tab and see how what the number of processes are list next to the word about two thirds of the way down the page, on the left, next to the word processes. Post back with that number. That is the number of processes that are started each time the computer starts up. If there are too many, that will slow down your computer.

Also, what antivirus program are you using? Many of them will slow a system down a lot.

Btw, Msconfig should not be used as a startup manager, it is better to use another program for that. Not only is it not intended for that, it does not show all the things that startup with the computer

Edited by Stang777, 18 July 2009 - 02:13 AM.

#4 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

fairjoeblue: If you think I need more memory, I would go about the process of doing that?

Stang 77: Next time I start up my computer again I will let you know what I have.

I currently use AVG (the free edition) as my main one.
I also run spybot and malware once a week to check if I have anything but I have those turned off unless I use them manually so those two shouldn't take up much room.

#5 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

This may be beneficial to you LazyMan826 :http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php. :thumbsup:

#6 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

So, I rebooted my computer and it came up with about 40 processes. Then it still loaded up some more and it went up to about 46.

Currently, after only loading the internet, it now has 48 processes.

I don't know if that is a good number or not so yeah.

Weatherman: What would that specifically do?

Edited by LazyMan826, 18 July 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:47 AM

That seems like a lot of processes to be starting to me, especially with the small amount of ram that you have. When my computer starts up, taskmanager shows I have 21 processes running. Many people have as many or more processes as you do without any problems, but most of them have a lot more ram than you do.

You can use Spybot to manage your startups but you need to be careful as it will show many of the windows processes also and you do not want to stop most of those. To see the startup list in Spybot, you need to click on Advanced view which is in one of the items on the toolbar on top of it, then look through the list shown on the left for the item titled Startup. If you click on the arrows on the right side of the startup screen in Spybot and then click on one of the entries, it will give you info on some of the programs listed and for the ones it does not give you info on, you can use google to find out if they are necessary to have starting when the computer starts. If you determine that you do not want to have that item start with the computer, just uncheck it, do not delete the entry though until you are certain after rebooting and using your computer for a while that you do not need them. If you are unsure about any of them after googling them, post them here and we can help you. You also have to be careful with the google search as there are some sites that will list legit processes as malware when they are not.

Here are some of the programs that Spybot will list that are part of Windows (that some sites will say are malware even though they are not) that you do not want to disable....

Crypt32chain: crypt32.dll
Cryptnet: cryptnet.dll
Cscdll: cscdll.dll
ScCertProp: wlnotify.dll
Schedule: wlnotify.dll
Sclgntfy: sclgntfy.dll
Senslogn: wlnotify.dll
Termsrv: wlnotify.dll
Wlballoon: wlnotify.dll

Many of those don't show up in taskmanager, again, do NOT disable the above entries. Also, make sure you do not disable any process belong to your antivirus program.

I believe that Startuplite that Weatherman mentioned is a startup manager that you can use to disable startup entries. I have never used it so I do not know for sure but I suspect that it will list things other than the Windows programs which might make it safer for you to use to manage your startups.

Edited by Stang777, 19 July 2009 - 01:49 AM.

#8 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

i persoanally would go straight and upgrade the RAM 256 is not enough for todays applications. You get get 1GB sticks of RAM for 30~ so its well worth it.
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#9 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

So I did the spybot thing and this is what I have checked (I am only going to list values unless you need more information):

AVG8_TRAY
Hp software update
Hpbootop
ISUSPM start up
Quick Time Task
TkBellexe
ctfmon.exe
fejowuwuse (I have two of these)
Aim6
ctfmon.exe
swg
Run Nintendo
AtiExtEvent
avgrsstarter
crypt32chain
cryptnet
cscdll
dimsntfy
ScCertProp
Schedule
sclgntfy
SensLogn
termsrv
wlballoon

So, let me know what I need to get rid of please and thanks for all your help!

Edit: I have noticed that my page file usage in the task manager is at 364mb when the computer is just sitting not doing anything. Is this because I was using applications before during the day or does it mean something is taking up space or being used that I should remove. I was told a high pf usage results in a slower computer. Just trying to think of anything that could help.

Edited by LazyMan826, 19 July 2009 - 09:26 PM.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

That pf usage is not that high, mine is higher than that right now.

Leave the first one and the bottom 11 enabled, I will work on the other ones and edit my post as I find them. The AVG ones are for your antivirus program and the other 10 are part of Windows that you should leave alone.

Hpbootop - not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to.
ISUSPM Start Up - suspect not required to start automatically
Quick Time Task - not required to start automatically, but unless you are using a firewall or some other program that can stop it from reinserting itself, it will reinsert itself there at random.
TkBellExe - not necessary for startup. It is usually run infrequently and can be started manually if needed
ctfmon.exe - only necessary if you use any MS Office products

fejowuwuse - YOU ARE INFECTED WITH A TROJAN, we need to get rid of this using malware removal programs

Aim6 is questionable as to whether or not it should be running at all. It is possible that it is also malware, but it is also possile that it is the legit instant messaging program. If you installed it, then it is probably legit and if you use it a lot and want people to be able to IM you at any time, you might want to leave it as is. If you only want to use it when you want to IM someone, do not have it start with the computer. If you did not install it, it could be a backdoor trojan.

swg - Is this for the game Star Wars Galaxies? If so, I see no reason to have it start with the computer. If it is not for that, I have no idea what it is.

Run Nintendo - I see no reason for this to be started with the computer, seems like that should be able to just start that manually with the games. I do not have that so can't be sure, it is up to you. If you can play whatever Nintendo games you have without that already started, you shouldn't need it to start with the computer.

AtiExtEvent - Relates to your video card and I am not certain if this one needs to start with the computer or not, but I doubt it. I would probably uncheck it and see how things work after a reboot.

None of the changes you make to these in Spybot will take effect until you reboot so you need to do that to see if any of the changes make any difference.

Btw, are you using Spybots Tea Timer function?

Edited by Stang777, 19 July 2009 - 10:55 PM.

#11 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

Okay, well what would you recommend to get rid of that trojan. I can run malware and spybot but I am afraid they might miss it since I am not sure how long it has been on there and I just ran both of those last week.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:05 PM

Look at my last post for the edits I made to it after your post. As for the infections you may have, you can post in the Am I Infeted section of this forum. If it were me, I would probably run the following scans, but instead of posting the results in this thread, I would post in the Am I Infected forum at this link...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Post the results of the Malwarebytes log in your first post there, telling them that you suspect Malware is on your system and ran this scan, then follow it up with the SuperAnitSpyware log. I will look for your post there and follow up. If these programs do not get rid of it, they can further assistant you there until your system is clean. If you are running Spybots Tea Timer function, disable it before running these scans.

I would start out by doing a scan with Malwarebytes...

It can be downloaded from any of these places...

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

alternate download link 1 (easiest way)
http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-setup.exe

alternate download link 2
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html

Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application. (If it will not download, install, or open after installation, change the name of it to whatever you want and change the .exe extension to .bat or .com or .pif or scr and then double click on it to run.)

When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings. When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected. Then click on the Scan button.
If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found". Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

After running that scan, post the complete log of the results here and then download, install, update and run a quick scan with SuperAntiSpyware and post the complete log of the results here. This scan may take some time to complete so please be patient.

That can be downloaded from SuperAntiSpyware.com

If it will not download, install, or open after installation, change the name of it to whatever you want and change the .exe extension to .bat or .com or .pif or scr and then double click on it to run.

If possible, both programs should be run in regular Windows, not safe mode. Allow both programs to remove whatever they find and if they tell you that you need to reboot your computer to complete the removal process, reboot into normal Windows.

Edited by Stang777, 19 July 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#13 Ravahan

Ravahan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

i persoanally would go straight and upgrade the RAM 256 is not enough for todays applications. You get get 1GB sticks of RAM for 30~ so its well worth it.

+1
I honestly think WinXP should never have been shipped with systems that only have 256 MB of RAM. Some of them that I've messed with have been insanely slow with nothing really wrong with them. If you've noticed a gradual slowdown of the computer, its honestly most likely due to applications, as Andrewww said, requiring more RAM than that as the years progressed.... If paying the money for a new stick of RAM isn't an option for you right now, I'd suggest (in addition to what Stang suggests) running a registry cleaner (I don't know a good freebee, but I'm sure someone here does) and a very nice program called "Cleanup!", which gets rid of temp files that the basic disk cleaner misses. It can be downloaded here.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Re the use of Cleanup, I suggest you read the last post by Quietman at http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.ph...mp;#entry117851

Louis

#15 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

Stang777: Thank you so much for everything you have done so far.

I am currently at work and have class tonight untill 9. When I get home I will run the scans and post them in spot you told me to do. So, I will probably post later at night. It is about 12:30 in the afternnon here so I don't know when you go on or what time zone you are in put you should be able to look at it near 10 / 11 pm tonight.

If you think of anything else in the meantime, feel free to let me know.

Thanks to everyone else who is giving me advice as well. This is really helpful.

Edit:
I believe the swg from searching it online, that it is part of google toolbar notifier. I don't know if that needs to start up because it is used on the internet. I don't really care if I even have that on the internet anyways so I will uncheck it I think.

Aim: I have that installed but I don't need it to start up. My sister is the one who uses it so I might as well just install it if she doesn't use it anymore.

Run Nintendo: That is for playing over wifi and I think it needs to be turned on first before playing. I am not sure if I can uncheck that one but I will check with my brother who uses that thing and find out.

Spybot Tea Timer: I am not using that function since I have the AVG resident shield as my one constantly going. I will make sure I take off the resident shield when I run the scans, like I usually do.

Edited by LazyMan826, 20 July 2009 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users