Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows media player and DVD player wont play gives me this message

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flexxx

flexxx

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hi i just had to reinstall windows xp and everything works fine except the Windows media player and Real player i cant play DVD's. I get this message: Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card

Not sure what to do, i put in what i thought were the necessary drivers but maybe i missed something.Any help would be much appreicated.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

Grab this XP Codec Pack 2.4.8

#3 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Yeah i already had that from a while ago. What i am seeing from research online is that it has something to do with copy protection laws and that Microsoft only enables certain copies of Windows to play any DVD's that have copy write protection(which is almost every DVD in existence). I have tried disabling the DCR thing in WMP settings but that doesnt work either. I uninstalled WMP 11 and installed WMP 9, but same thing. This is really starting to irk me. This is the other message i get> 0xC00D1163: A problem occurred with digital copyright protection

Anyone else have any ideas
?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

You might try the k-lite codec package, it seems to be a codec issue, as previously indicated.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

Worth reading, IMO: http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/articles/11496.aspx

Louis

#5 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

You might try the k-lite codec package, it seems to be a codec issue, as previously indicated.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

Worth reading, IMO: http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/articles/11496.aspx

Louis

Thanks alot Louis for replying. I downloaded the KLITE version 4.9.5 and now when i try to play a dvd it says cannot play because a "compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer". What gives?

Also i have read that link and it has me completely confused. Can you translate that page to English for me.lolplease

thanks

Edited by flexxx, 22 July 2009 - 11:44 PM.

#6 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ok can anyone help me this is getting to be quite an inconvenience?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Well...my experience on my systems...indicate that the codec pack should have corrected your situation.

I don't know what else to suggest.

When I do a clean install, I get the same error message that you received...but installing the K-Lite codecs corrected it.

Louis

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

There are 3 codecs pack to choose from. Which do you recommend for Flexx, Louis? Full, Standard or Basic?

I also see that a vers 5 is available.

@ Flexx. Did you uninstall any previous codec packs? Multiple packs have been known to cause conflicts.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

I used the Full, Version 5.0/5.

Louis

#10 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

There are 3 codecs pack to choose from. Which do you recommend for Flexx, Louis? Full, Standard or Basic?

I also see that a vers 5 is available.

@ Flexx. Did you uninstall any previous codec packs? Multiple packs have been known to cause conflicts.

I am not sure how to check which codecs i have, can you tell me now to find out?If there are other ones do i have to remove them?

I clicked add/remove programs and i see DivX codec, DivXconverter,DivXplayer,DivXplus direct show filters, divXwebplayer
I also see at the bottom of the list XP Codec pack.

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

UPDATE i posted all this about 30 minutes ago, well now it works, downloaded full version 5.05. So now i can watch DVD's YESSSSS.
I have one question when i was installing the Klite thing it kept popping up with messages that said things like files detected broken remove from registry?i kept clicking yes to all of them, probably like 8-10 messages then i clicked done.Is everything ok?

thanks again to everyone who helped out

Edited by flexxx, 16 August 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

Glad you appear to have solved it.

I'd have to guess that it was replacing files from your previous install effort.

Those are the only files which any legitimate program may be allowed to replace, so I would not worry about those messages.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Glad you appear to have solved it.

I'd have to guess that it was replacing files from your previous install effort.

Those are the only files which any legitimate program may be allowed to replace, so I would not worry about those messages.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

Thanks everyone. This is a fantastic forum full of helpful and highly knowledgeable individuals.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users