Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Dual drive system-can't access "D" drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tahant

tahant

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hi...I'm new to the forums here, and need some help. I have an HP dv8000 laptop with two 80GB hard drives (160 total), "C" and "D", and I can't access anything on "D"...a long time ago I was able to create some picture folders on that drive, but it never let me put pictures in the folders. Then I tried to delete the folders, and it wouldn't let me...I would get the warning dialog box stating "D:\My Pictures D\photos is not accessible. Access is denied". I hate to think that HP would have given me two 80GB hard drives, and only one of them is usable. I was hoping someone here could maybe tell me some simple solution to allow me the use of this otherwise useless 80GB HDD...a way to "turn on" the access to it...can anyone help me???

Thanx,
Theresa

P.S. I have Windows XP Professional

Edited by tahant, 17 July 2009 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hello. First of, I'm pretty sure that your computer only has one harddrive with two partitions. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a laptop with two harddrives in my life. So you are having trouble accessing your D: partition? It seems like you dont have the appropriate permissions. So, you have to take ownership of all the folders in the D: drive. This article explains it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Hope this helps, let us know if you need help.

#3 tahant

tahant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hi Gareth:

Thank you so much! I followed the directions in the link you gave me. It worked!!! :thumbsup: I can't tell you how long I have been trying to figure this out. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Best Regards
Theresa

#4 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

Hello. First of, I'm pretty sure that your computer only has one harddrive with two partitions. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a laptop with two harddrives in my life. So you are having trouble accessing your D: partition? It seems like you dont have the appropriate permissions. So, you have to take ownership of all the folders in the D: drive. This article explains it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Hope this helps, let us know if you need help.

my dad's laptop had 2 hard drives :/

#5 tahant

tahant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

I'm not sure if mine has two hard drives or not, I thought it did, but I'm just very happy to have access to the other half now :thumbsup:

Edited by tahant, 17 July 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

FWIW: Any user can verify the number of hard drives attached and recognized by XP...by using the Disk Management function.

This will reflect both hard drives (internal and external), optical drives, and any partitions which exist on the hard drives.

Louis

#7 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Some Dell XPS laptops have two HDD's in raid!
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users