Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

checkdisk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 William Law

William Law

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

Dell, 630i, xp pro,sp3, 4gb ram, 2 internal hard disks, 2 optical disks, 2 external hard disks, Zone Alarm SecSuite, CounterSpy
I reinstalled windows on a new computer in Jan, helped by Dell tech who installed the drivers, and at my request partitioned one 500gb hard drive into C: c 100gb, and F: with 400gb. I also have a 2nd hard drive, partitioned into D:, 200gb and G: 100gb.
Somewhere in the spring I had to install an image of C:, made in March.
Some time after this the boot process began to include a chkdsk - (that always gives a good report). I ran chkdsk /f manually and no problem was found.
I can't see that any harm is being done, but it does raise a question about the drive.
Just recently I had a (?) virus that made Outlook Express unworkable, plus some other minor problems; so I just reintstalled windows on C:. The chkdsk problem has persisted.
Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:11 AM

That happened to me a few times. It is easy to fix. The system added chkdsk to run at boot. Normally when it runs at boot by it self it is due to major issues within the file structure. After the initial run it is supposed to remove it self from the area of the registry that makes it run.

The forum there I posted is pretty good because it gives your more than just the way to remove it. There may be something else wrong.

http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/553526.htm

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

If you manually ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk still wants to run at boot...I suggest running the chkdsk /r command (this includes the chkdsk /f functions, but also checks the hard drive for bad sectors containing data). Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query, hit Enter. Reboot the system and let the chkdsk /r do its job.

When it is complete, it will boot into XP.

If the anomalous behavior with chkdsk continues...I would suggest doing a hard drive diagnostic (long/extended test), using the prescribed utility available at the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Louis

#4 William Law

William Law
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

Thanks to both. I will try those things and report back.
Very pleased
Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users