Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rklyon

rklyon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:23 PM

I have a Presario S5000nx that a broken connection to the on board video. I purchased the Radeon 9250 PCI graphics card thinking that I could simply put it in the slot, plug in the monitor and be up and running. Didn't happen. I have a blank screen and a blank look on my face from not knowing what to do next. If anybody has any suggestions they would be most appreciated.

Randy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

You did install the drivers for the new card I hope, and plug the monitor into it? If you did, then read on:

Most motherboards automatically disable the on-board video-chip when a new display card is fitted, but yours may be the exception. If it's not disabled it will cause a resource conflict with the new card.

You need to go into the BIOS settings by holding down the DEL key as soon as you turn the PC on. It may be a different key but usually it's DEL. If it works you'll get a blue screen with settings in white text.
There are several sections to the BIOS, each section listed on the first screen or page. Highlight 'Integrated Peripherals' and press ENTER.
Look for 'ON-BOARD VIDEO' or something similar, then press 'Page Up' or 'Page Down' to change it's setting from enabled to 'Disabled'
Press ESCAPE to get back to the first screen, then look at the bottom of the page to see what key to press to EXIT AND SAVE (usually F10)
If it asks "Exit and Save Changes? be sure to press 'Y' for Yes.
The BIOS setup will close and the PC will re-boot.

#3 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:50 PM

Also, with the BIOS, you may want to check if there's an ON/OFF jumper on the motherboard for the vid card. I know that most mobos are now jumperless, but never hurts to check.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users