Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek NIC card fails to connect to modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flexxx

flexxx

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

First of all i just want to say that i think you all do a great job in helping everyone out on this forum, i needed your help a while back in April and your services were amazing.Thank you for being an excellent resource.

I just ran a windows XP update the Security Software Update 3.0 on July 16th and now my NIC (REALTEK RTL8139 Family PCI FAST ETHERNET NIC PACKET SCHEDULER MINIPORT) is not working. It does not show up in the device manager unless i click view show hidden devices.First i tried to update the driver but it doesnt work because the NIC will NOT connect me to the internet. I tried disableing it waiting and then reinabling that does not work. I then tried to uninstall the , but it says it cannot because it is used to reboot the computer.I downloaded drivers from Realteks website that doesnt work. I called Microsoft spent an hour on the phone, and they had me do all the steps i mentioned already we also attempted to create a new network, because the computer is only showing a PPOE network instead of the usual highspeed. Called the cable company and they said the NIC is not communicating with the modem(obviously) and they were of no help.

I am completely lost and have very little knowledge of computers. Can you please help me. I am using Windows XP Professional on a Dell computer from 2002.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Is the NIC integrated into the motherboard or is it a separate PCI card? To find this out you can look at the back of your computer. If the NIC is right next some sound ports and USB ports on the motherboard then it is integrated. If it is further down your computer then it is its own card.

I ask because if it is integrated, then you should try checking in the BIOS when you first boot your computer to make sure that it is not disabled in the settings.

Let us know what you find out.

#3 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

THanks for replying
I just see PCI IRQ Assignment in BIOS.I pressed enter and saw a list none of which said on or off.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

It may be time for PCI NIC card..my experience is that onboard NICs give only one indication (often) when they fail...loss of functionality. Device Manager does not necessarily reflect the fact that it's not working properly.

Louis

#5 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

It may be time for PCI NIC card..my experience is that onboard NICs give only one indication (often) when they fail...loss of functionality. Device Manager does not necessarily reflect the fact that it's not working properly.

Louis

So you think its probably time for what? To replace it?
thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

IMO, it's always a good idea to have a PCI NIC around.

Of all the onboard functions in a motherboard chipset, the NIC and the USB functions seem those most likely (IMO) to fail without any sign of trouble. Having a PCI NIC and PCI USB card...avoid a lot of unnecessary frustration...cheaply.

Yes, I would replace it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Louis

#7 gocards22

gocards22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Try to boot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking. Here is how you do it.

Start up your computer
Once you get past the BIOS messages, start hitting your F8 key BEFORE windows starts.
This will bring up a menu of options.

Select "Safe Mode With Networking".

See if you can load up internet explorer and get internet access.. What does it say?

#8 flexxx

flexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

Try to boot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking. Here is how you do it.

Start up your computer
Once you get past the BIOS messages, start hitting your F8 key BEFORE windows starts.
This will bring up a menu of options.

Select "Safe Mode With Networking".

See if you can load up internet explorer and get internet access.. What does it say?

OK tried that still nothing.Any other ideas or is this thing just broken all of a sudden.I still find it hard to believe it simply stopped working as a coincidence after the security software update happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users