Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba running windows xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brndn0422

brndn0422

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

My toshiba laptop is running windows xp but when i try to turn it on it says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys How do i fix this problem without a startup disk?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hello... There is a Microsoft fix here for you to try.
To resolve this issue, use Recovery Console to replace the Isapnp.sys file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315311
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

You can download the Recovery Console (an .iso file) and burn it to disk.

But I don't believe that you will be able to follow the instructions in the link supplied by Boopme...because that link assumes that D: is an XP install CD, complete with XP install files.

But I've been wrong before...and it's worth a try. If you run into problems, post back and someone will try to figure out how to overcome such.

Louis

#4 brndn0422

brndn0422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

i tried the link but i don't have the setup disk. is there anyother way?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

The CD is not the only place those files are stored...there should be copies in any service pack folder on the system.

I myself find 4 copies in the following locations:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers
C:\Windows\System32\dllcache
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$

The last one appears to be the oldest (2003, 35KB) and is slightly smaller than the others (2008, 37KB).

I would try the fix provided by Microsoft...but substitute a different file location for D:. Since it is the file active in the drivers folder which needs to be replaced, I would copy one from either the dllcach folder of rthe i386 folder...where the fix suggests copying from D:.

Not sure that would work (never had to do such) but it's worth a try.

Louis

#6 brndn0422

brndn0422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

i should have said earlier i cant even use my toshiba at all i have been using my desktop for to write this forum. so how would i copy the file to a disk

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Perhaps your best "plan" would be to borrow a Microsoft XP install CD...use that with your valid license key...and attempt a repair install.

Louis

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

I'm with Louis.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 brndn0422

brndn0422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:38 AM

if i can't find one through my friends where else can i look for one?

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

If you cannot find one in a store you can probably buy one at softwareoutlet.com. Just do a search for Windows Xp on their site

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

My toshiba laptop is running windows xp but when i try to turn it on it says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys How do i fix this problem without a startup disk?

My first suggestion would be to enter the Windows Advanced Options Menu (by tapping F8 after pressing the ON button) and and using the option "Last known good configuration that worked" .... several times, if necessary. I am not particularly optimistic, in this case, though.

My second suggestion (a sure-fire method) is to either ...

Use a Linux based OS (there are many options to choose from here ... Ubuntu, Knoppix, or make your own with Bart's PE Builder***500MB - my preference, and see links below, etc) that will run from a bootable CD, and simply copy/paste to replace the original file that is either missing or corrupt. This involves a download of something like 700MB, and burning an .iso file to CD, and if you use Bart's PE, you need an XP installation CD, and burn the CD using your desktop computer.

some info: http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/wind...07/Bart_PE.html

Bart's site: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

OR ...
Take the hard drive out of the laptop and attach it to your desktop computer and use the desktop's OS to do as above. This method may not be convenient for you if you do not already have to necessary hardware on-hand.

Oh yes .... not forgettng a possible third option ....
First, on your desktop, copy/paste the file you want to a floppy (from the ServicePackFiles location).
Use a CD to boot into Recovery Console, on your laptop.
Copy/paste from the floppy to C:\Windows\System32\drivers
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users