Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Won't work after install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pointy

Pointy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi.

I've recently had problems with my PC, which has led to me installing a new hard drive. I installed Windows XP Home from the disk that came with the machine, and booted it up a couple of times. I then moved the machine from the living room (where I'd been messing about with it because there was more space), and took it back upstairs to where it's usually kept. I made sure the connections were all tight (because I'd just moved it), and connected it up.

It won't boot.

It flashes up the first little block of text identifying the GFX card, then the pentium screen, but then when it goes through the next screen, it sits with 'boot from CD' at the bottom and eventually adds the line 'Error loading operating system'.

I've tried booting from the CD, but that just flashes a black screen with 'Windows is examining your system set-up' on it, and then goes blank and does nothing.

On the advice of a few people I've tried getting in by pressing F8, which doesn't give me the 'safe mode' options like it should, and flashed up a BIOS-type screen asking for a boot-first device. It then goes back to what it was doing before. Someone else suggested I try F2 to have a look at the BIOS, but that did nothing.

The PC is a Medion - don't know the model.
HD is a maxtor 250GB (the drive I replaced was also 250GB although it had been partioned by the manufacturer)
GFX is a Nvidia GEForce 6600
1GB RAM

Please can someone help me? I've been computer-less for about three weeks now and I've got stuff I need to do! :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

Have you changed the BIOS boot options...from optical drive to hard drive? Sounds to me like the system is trying to boot from the optical drive, not the hard drive.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/biosSetup-c.html

On many systems, user must tap the Delete key periodically (I do the "1 thousand" routine) as the system starts to boot...in order to access the BIOS options.

Louis

#3 Pointy

Pointy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hi.

I've changed nothing. All I did was boot it up. When XP finished installing it told me to remove any disks and click OK to restart, which I did, and it booted fine. I then waited for it to settle and rebooted it again manually to see it worked before I moved it.

It seems to have stopped working between one room and the other, which is what's so confusing. I haven't changed any settings on the BIOS at all - I've never done that before so don't know how to, or what I'm doing there.

--Pointy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

I would have to guess that there is a loose connection somewhere...yes, I know that you said that you've checked the connections :thumbsup:.

The message 'Windows is examining your system set-up' only occurs when XP is trying to install, as far as I can remember. It literally makes no sense to me why that should appear after you've completed an install and removed the install CD.

But there are others here with far more knowledge than I have...so let's wait on some other inputs :flowers:.

The 'Error loading operating system' message is addressed by Microsoft at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326676 and it indicates that the problem may be due to the change of hard drive.

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#5 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

If you get a boot device screen by pressing F8, try using F5 instead at boot up. That should bring you to to where you can try safe mode.

Edited by jchedot, 18 July 2009 - 09:23 AM.

I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

It appears that Windows cannot find your hard disk drive.
Go into BIOS by pressing Del or F1 (or something else depending on your BIOS) and check if BIOS detects your hard disk.
If not, then open case, remove and reattach the power and data cables firmly of your hard disk.

BTW Welcome to BC :thumbsup:

#7 Pointy

Pointy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

The message 'Windows is examining your system set-up' only occurs when XP is trying to install, as far as I can remember. It literally makes no sense to me why that should appear after you've completed an install and removed the install CD.

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

Hi. :thumbsup:

This is copied and pasted from my original post (except the RAM, I remembered I actually have 2 1GB sticks in it):
The PC is a Medion - don't know the model.
HD is a maxtor 250GB (the drive I replaced was also 250GB although it had been partioned by the manufacturer)
GFX is a Nvidia GEForce 6600
2GB RAM

The 'windows examining set-up' thing comes up only when I tell it to boot from CD. It doesn't do that otherwise. :flowers: I'll check out that MS link, thanks. Doesn't explain why I had a few successful boots before I moved it though if it's not finding the hard drive. :trumpet:

It appears that Windows cannot find your hard disk drive.

Go into BIOS by pressing Del or F1 (or something else depending on your BIOS) and check if BIOS detects your hard disk.
If not, then open case, remove and reattach the power and data cables firmly of your hard disk.

BTW Welcome to BC smile.gif

Thanks, I'll have a go at that. And thanks :D

If you get a boot device screen by pressing F8, try using F5 instead at boot up. That should bring you to to where you can try safe mode.

Something else to try, thanks :inlove:

#8 Pointy

Pointy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hi guys :thumbsup:

I tried all your suggestions and it's still not working. I got into the BIOS and it reads the Hard drive I installed, and tries to boot from it, but... doesn't.

Should I remove the drive again and format it using another computer, then reinstall windows...again?

Oh... been playing in the BIOS and now it's not recognising I have SATA ports or showing the drive - which it did before.

Getting more and more confused here. So very confused.

Any other suggestions please?:flowers:

--Pointy

Edited by Pointy, 19 July 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#9 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hmmm, I would try downloading Memtest86, burning it to a cd, boot to it and see if it runs without any problems. At least if it works, you know your computer is working fine (minus the HD). Also, if you have another computer handy, I would try putting the suspect hard drive in that computer and see if it starts booting windows. No need to let it boot all the way up, just see if it at least gets to the loading windows screen.

Let us know what happens when you try this.

Edited by gareth_f, 19 July 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest Tells you why you should only use Memtest86+.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users