Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to create Disk Image for PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

I need to back up some of our PC's by backing up data and creating a Disk Image of the Hard drive

These machines range from windows 2000, all the way to XP

Is there a freeweare software that is compatible for multiple versions and fairly simple to use?

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Don't use an Imaging Program myself, although I probably should.

Anyway here's a couple of good articles:

7 free software to image/backup/ghost your computer.

Best Free Drive Imaging Program.

:thumbsup:

#3 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

Hi bdgardner;

I use Macrium Reflect Free. It's good and free. I started using it last 2 years and it gave me good service. But the limit is that it will only do full image back-ups. The Macrium Reflect Pro gives you file and folder back-ups etc. You will also use Bart-PE since it will require you to make a boot cd.

Another is software freeware is DiscWizard powered by Acronis. If you have a Seagate installed HDD in the pc it will run. You can download it at the Seagate website for free. DiscWizard is a downgrade of Acronis True Image 11. It is much the same as Macrium Reflect free but the one thing I have noticed between the two is that DiscWizard backs up with more less size than Macrium. DiscWizards boot cd is included in the program so you dont need to have Bart-PE on it. You can create the boot cd on it's own. Again, DiscWizard will only run if you have a Seagate hdd installed.

Hope this can help you :flowers:

voltronDefender :thumbsup:

#4 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

These are very good so far

What if I was willing to purchase a disk imaging software, as opposed to looking for a free one, does this change peoples opinions on what to use?

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

ShadowProtect is one of the most highly rated, but not cheap ($79.95). Although from what I've read, well worth the money.
http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

A Review Here.

#6 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

I like Clonezilla, as it is fast, free, and supports a whole lot of filesystems. It only does a full image of the HD though, but it can create an ISO file from the image it created that you can burn to a CD/DVD, and have your own recovery CD that can be booted from.

#7 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

I am pro open source and use Sourceforge a lot

ISO Burning Windows In Search Bar

Bear
Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site