Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ranger

ranger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

HI Guys

I have been trying to reinstall my Microsoft FSX flight sim for the past week, I keep getting an error message that reads 'this installation is forbidden by system policy contact system administrator'.
I have reinstalled on previous occasions without difficulty, I have tried various ways of installing with no success, I have been advised to change the policy but cannot find a way to do that, I am using Win XP home edition and am the administrator.

any help would be appreciated

Mike

Edited by ranger, 17 July 2009 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

You are logged in as Admin?

Your profile may possibly be damaged...you might check for other obvious anomalies.

Can you install any programs?

How to login as Administrator in Windows XP - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

Louis

#3 ranger

ranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:32 AM

HI
Yes I am logged in as admin and have checked to make sure, my computer functions perfectly and I can install other programmes, this problem is with flight simulator X only and I have just uninstalled it as I wanted a clean install, so I know that it can be installed.

Mike

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

System policy indicates a permissions issue (IMO) but that's negated by the fact that you install other programs.

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912835

Louis

#5 ranger

ranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hi Louis

I have found many references to this error and it appears to need a specific cure depending in which programme it occurs, I have found a reference to the problem on microsoft support when this error occurs in windows installer and the cure seems to be a simple entry in the registry to disable the policy, however the instruction given is for WINDOWS 2000 and the registry entry mentioned is not in the windows XP registry. I have so far been unable to find a way to change or disable the policy that is preventing the installation of FSX, I cannot really understand why having installed and uninstalled it a couple of times in the past few months, I cannot install it now.

Cheers Mike

Edited by ranger, 18 July 2009 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users