Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

comodo antivirus vs. avira free

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

wat is better out of the two?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

AntiVir has proven high detection rates according to AV-Comparatives and AV-Test. Comodo AV is improving but on the few tests I've seen AntiVir scores higher.

Also, Comodo has much more false positives.

#3 polarpimp

polarpimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

alright thanks

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

The Comodo Internet security program is designed to work as a whole, so if you use another antivirus with the firewall you will have to answer many more popups which you would not get if you use the complete program. Antivir is still a better antivirus, but the rest of CIS gives you far better security as a package and is easier to run as a sole security product.
James

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

The Comodo Internet security program is designed to work as a whole, so if you use another antivirus with the firewall you will have to answer many more popups which you would not get if you use the complete program. Antivir is still a better antivirus, but the rest of CIS gives you far better security as a package and is easier to run as a sole security product.

I don't see how you would have to answer more pop ups. If AntiVir detects malware, it will quarantine it immediately, before it executes, and hence D+ won't give any pop ups.

#6 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:44 AM

The Defense+ configuration is certainly different with and without the antivirus component, so would tend to pop up less often, but I take your point. I thought you would maybe get alerts from both with a different av because of that, when using default configurations.
James

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:52 AM

In the latest version of Comodo CIS there are virtually no pop-ups at all. Also the AV in the new Comodo is just as good as Avira in my opinion. I am a safe surfer and don't visit dodgy sites, I am also very PC security aware and used Comodo Firewall in conjunction with Avira for years before completely going over to Comodo CIS earlier this year. I can't say a bad thing about either of them as I have never had a virus found in the time I used them approx 4yrs. I read posts saying things like there are more false positives with Comodo which in my opinion are pure hearsay and not my experience at all. In fact the only AV I have ever used which I found bad for false positives was AVG7.5 which got so bad I used to keep a shortcut to Jotti's just to test anything AVG found. The only reason I uninstalled Avira was that I believe having one companies security system has got to use less resources and less chance of conflicting programs and have found my view confirmed since changing. I personally think that a lot of the anti Comodo sentiment stems from their competition who would much rather have you buy their product than get a free one from Comodo. Another plus in my view for Comodo is that they have a really efficient and helpful forum. Human nature I suppose tends to believe that there ain't no such thing as a free meal and therefore a paid for version must be better but as anyone who uses these forums regularly knows the paid for versions may have more bells and whistles but the security and malware finding capacity offered is just the same as in the free version.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users