Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New USB issues (Vista Home Premium 64bit)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arioch13

Arioch13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

I am having a very hard to track down USB problem. Recently reinstalled windows 64 and changed graphics card from NVidia to an ATI at the same time. Just to give some background.

Prior to these changes I successfully used my USB wireless adaptor, 2gig USB storage device, and my 500 gig Seagate freeagent backup drive. With few issues. (Although vista sometimes got moody if I unplug them without stopping them which is fair enough hehe.

Since this happened I have not been able to use any of the USB ports. When I plug the device in either nothing at all happens or I get windows searching for a device driver before not recognising the device (the hard drive being the most important to me ) and then showing as unknown device. Various possible solutions to this possibly widespread problem are shown on the web.

1. USB power. For USB powered devices there is apparently a power issue from USB ports and particular cabling adaptors exist to resolve this. However my device is mains powered directly from the socket.
2. Issues are shown with specific files in the INFCACHE file. I have tried these fixes. ie changed permissions on this file and deleted it. No change there.
3. Checking device manager for exclamation marks etc or dubious looking USB hub entries. Non shown. Tried deleting the current hubs and allowing windows to reinstall. Still nothing.
4. Downloaded and flashed the latest BIOS for my motherboard. EVGA X58 Tri SLI. Some nice new features but no change to my problem.
5. Downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers from the EVGA website.

Basically I am completely stuck and can think of no other possible solutions. Double and triple checked the bios settings and reset the BIOS to default to see if it would make any difference. No change.

Does anyone at all have an idea what I can do. I have masses and masses of info I need to access from applications on my pc which reside on the USB drive. Worst case scenario I will build another machine and see if it will read the drive but that seems like using a shotgun to crack a walnut. I also really do need to be able to utilise USB devices on this pc in general. HELP Please if you can. ) hehe many thanks.

Edited by Arioch13, 17 July 2009 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Arioch13

Arioch13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

Update:

Tried some other potential solutions.

Used the bcedit command to turn off driver enforcement as well as the F8 based options. (Just in case) - No change.
Check out several possible hotfixes on the MS pages. None of the suitable for my machine. Looks like they are old fixes.
Tried disconnecting all power and removing the backup battery from the motherboard to fully reset everything. - No change there either.
Cursed at the machine alot and finally begged -I am the proprietor of my own company and if my current lack of productivity continues through next week due to this issue I am in the unfortunate position of having to fire myself. - No change.
Tried to contact Microsoft directly and as they have me over a barrel tried to pay for it. Been using my credit cards consistently for years. But microsoft wont event take my money for some reason. Webpage wont allow me to buy support.

I have had weeks of grief with various MS products over this last month. When will someone come up with turnkey competetive solution that allows me to do business and enjoy games and entertainment software. Would save me money even if it was 3x the price per license.....

Edited by Arioch13, 18 July 2009 - 06:10 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Seems to me that you are taking the wrong approach...to what may be a hardware problem.

I would simply have installed a USB PCI card. If I continued to have the same problems, it would have to be an O/S situation (to be resolved by further troubleshooting). If my problems disappeared, it would have been a chipset function problem overcome by going around the chipset/onboiard function.

I apply the same approach to network connection problems with an onboard NIC/LAN. IME, it's the onboard function in every case (I don't claim to have extensive experience, just reporting what I have seen).

Louis

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

I have read everytime you disconnect a usb device without safely remove, there's a voltage surge, usually it fries a jump drive. It's possible that it fried the onboard usb?

Like Louis said try a usb pci card.

Edited by DaChew, 18 July 2009 - 08:34 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Arioch13

Arioch13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

Hey there thanks for responding guys.!

Update on this:

It seems the ports themselves are working. Taking a USB mouse I can connect it to any of the ports and it is imediately recognised and the correct human interface drivers are installed and it works right away. The same is true with a USB keyboard.

I have now tried 4 other devices that worked prior to my reinstalling the machine and every one of them comes up with unknown device errors.

Just to be sure they do actually work I tested each device on my friends machine today. His machine recognised them too running vista (he has 32 bit home premium)

So I came home and installed my from my old 32 bit Vist media on a second drive. Exactly the same result.

This is wierd problem but everything seems to point at a vista issue as far as this layman can tell. Seen absolutely masses of information around issues like this on the net but no solutions I already found seem to work for me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

If you think it's a Vista issue, not hardware, you can try the BC Vista forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/72/windows-vista/

Louis

#7 Arioch13

Arioch13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

yeah its looking like a vista issue now I got this far.

Will reopen this in the other forum.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:57 PM

So I came home and installed my from my old 32 bit Vist media on a second drive. Exactly the same result.

So all devices worked with 32 bit on your box?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users