Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zoigr

zoigr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hi,

I have a pc with Windows XP Pro SP1 in my network. We recently had a virus problem in the network so I checked and had the conflicker.exe virus. Removed it and updated NOD32 but it wouldn't install the updates (I did the same on other computers and worked fine). So I decided to install SP3, just in case, and then run a computer scan again. Then for some reason the specific computer was either stuck in the Windows logo (so i rebooted) or was rebooting over and over again. I thought maybe it was because i tried installing SP3 without first installing SP2 (computer was SP1) and said whatever I will format hard disc and run a clean version of Windows. I installed Windows XP Pro SP2, installation complete, restarted and the same. Stuck in Windows logo. I followed the instructions in this link http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=348 and nothing worked. I thought maybe i did something wrong during installation, and formated hard disk again. The same. I tried to install Windows XP Home Edition, the same. Either stuck at logo or rebooting over and over.
When it reboots it says that windows have recovered from a fatal error and prompts me to choose Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc. I tried everything and specifically when i enter Safe Mode i get some weird screen...
The only thing I haven't done yet (and I will on Monday) is checking HD for errors through the Repair Console.

Should I call someone more pro to check hardware, or still try checking software?

Any suggestions will me highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Zoi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

when i enter Safe Mode i get some weird screen...

Weird in what way?

#3 zoigr

zoigr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

well, i get a black screen with coloured lines...

#4 Acenator

Acenator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Since you obviously don't care about losing any information on the machine, you might want to completely wipe the hard drive with a program like dban. This will cover your hard disk with random characters and, hopefully, stop whatever is on there from coming back after you reinstall Windows.

#5 zoigr

zoigr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

yeah, i don't care losing a thing, i have everything i need in other computers, so...

i downloaded this tool. Next step extracting it in a cd and run?

#6 zoigr

zoigr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

and one more thing: why do you think this happened? did i do something wrong?

Thanks for the help, i will run the tool on Monday! :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

SP1 is not the current SP level of protection for XP.

There are probably 200 or so critical updates...which have been put forth for XP users...since SP1.

Louis

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

If you wish to do a clean install of Windows:
Download "Darik's Boot and Nuke" (dban) and burn to floppy or CD. You need boot from this media ... and ensuring that there is ONLY the one hard drive connected in the box (because it will nuke every hard drive attached), type in "autonuke" and press Enter and let it run. This will ensure a clean and properly prepared hard drive for a "next life". You may wish to run a diagnostic utility to test the drive. Then begin the Windows install with a partition and format with the default settings.
Download (dban-1.0.7)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/

If perchance, you cannot get a floppy or CD to boot at all, I suggest you try using a bootable USB device ... this has been shown to work, where the other methods have failed. You may need to make the appropriate alterations within BIOS, to enable this option.

This should fix the problem you are having with the installation of XP.
Good luck.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 zoigr

zoigr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:52 AM

Goodmorning,

i downloaded the tool, burned to a cd, and it keeps booting from HD, despite the fact that first boot device is cd...

i downloaded it from this site http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/ and extracted all files to a cd...

Any suggestions?

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:37 AM

Assuming there is no problem with the machine, I would suggest that you have failed to burn a bootable CD, for some reason.

You say .... "extracted all files to a cd"
There is no extraction required .... You simply burn the .iso image to a CD using something like ImgBurn ... or even Nero can do it, also. The CD created will be bootable.

You may need to revise your technique here, and I include some links below that may help with this:

ImgBurn - the program: http://www.imgburn.com/
Download and install the program. Launch the application and choose the option to "Write image file to disc".
OR ... perhaps you prefer this way ...
1. Browse to the ISO-file you want to burn
2. Select the ISO file and right-mouse-click now
3. Choose "Burn using ImgBurn"

OR ...
How to do it with Nero:
http://www.bay-wolf.com/burnimage.htm
==================
Edit: forgot to say ...

Download Darik's Boot and Nuke 1.0.7 * for CD and DVD media.

This is the file you need to download for burning to a CD: dban-1.0.7_i386.iso

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files...86.iso/download

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 July 2009 - 04:41 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 zoigr

zoigr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

first of all thank you all for replies.

i ran dban (from a floppy) and installed windows all over from the begining. but unfortunately still the same...

i checked disk for errors through the recovery console, it said that fixed some things, but the problem persists...

Any other suggestion?

Thank you :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

<<i checked disk for errors through the recovery console, it said that fixed some things, but the problem persists...>>

Exactly what problem is that, please?

You've talked of being infected...and the inability to boot into XP.

Can you let us know just what it is that your system won't do...after an apparent clean install of the O/S?

Louis

#13 zoigr

zoigr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

when the system starts to boot it gets stack at the windows logo for some seconds. Then it reboots on its own. Prompts me to choose safe mode, normal start etc, and no matter what i choose it stacks at the windows logo and all the way round again, reboot, windows logo and so on...
i'm afraid it's a hardware issue...

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

If a system gets stuck in a reboot loop...just after a clean install...I would have to suspect the hard drive.

Installing XP on a clean install...doesn't leave anything other than hardware suspects, in my world. Might as well start with the hard drive, move on to RAM.

I suggest running a disk diagnostic, from the respective website of the hard drive manufacturer. Run the long/extended test, if options are presented within the diagnostic.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#15 zoigr

zoigr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

thank you louis, i will try it tomorrow :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users