Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skynet infection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LaneB

LaneB

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

I am the village idiot when it comes to viruses & infections and I would prefer to stay that way, my mind presently has enough clutter. However, one of computers suddenly exhibited the search redirection problem after a friend used it to check his email. I scanned with Stopzilla's free scan which said Skynet trojan was present. I then scanned with several other spyware scans which did not detect it. A little research led me to believe that it is difficult to get rid of even though many software sellers claim to have the cure. So I pulled the infected harddrive and installed it in another unused box that is isolated from my 3 other computers and it is not connected to my home network. My intention is to copy what I need from the infected drive and then reformat and reload etc.

MY QUESTIONS: Can I safely copy files from the infected drive to another drive via my network without infecting my other drives ?
Can I safely copy files to a CD or DVD using the isolated computer without infecting the CD or DVD ?

I am only interested in some recent photo files that are on the infected drive and everything else can be sacrificed as I have it backed up. I am personally infected with that old disease known as "Oh hell, I can do that !" so my first inclination was to start searching out hidden files and find that damn Skynet and destroy it ! Until I read a post from the guy who spent 4 frustrating days doing that and still hadn't cured his problem. At that point formatting sounded so good and easy.

I thank all for their help and for sharing their knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

Lane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

Burn the photos to dvd or cd, I prefer to immunize all computers and drives from any autorun infections

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 LaneB

LaneB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

Chewy

Thanks for the response and may the force be with you (and me also I hope).

Lane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users