Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turning off by itself+ other problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JawedDoom

JawedDoom

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

First my computer specifications:

Windows xp SP3,
Intel P4 3.0Ghz,
160GB Hdd,
1GB ram,
512K adsl connection.

Well, as u can see in the title, my system turns off automatically. I usually leave my computer on(i usually never turn it off and i usually tell it to turn off the monitor after 1 mins) but when i return to it, its off :flowers: . I thought that it may be malware , well i scanned it with avast and spybot S&D, but they didnt detect any viruses. :thumbsup: then i thought it may be computer error, i scanned with CHKDSK but its the same. And also, sometimes when i try to open up folders or programs, they do not open at all and i have to restart my pc to get it to work again. I have Avast 4.8 home edition, spybot S&D, outpost firewall.

I would also like to know what r the best security softwares i can use for my pc. Thanx

Help me please. Thanx

Edited by Orange Blossom, 17 July 2009 - 11:18 AM.
HiJack This log removed. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

FWIW: There are many reasons a system may suddenly depower...malware is only one of them.

If you leave that HJT log data in your post...your post will be treated as one involving malware. That means that your post will be moved from the XP Forum to the HJT Forum where someone will take you through steps/procedures designed to find/remove malware on a system.

If that's what you want...please state such.

If you want to explore all the other causes that might contribute to a system shutting down...then I suggest that you edit your original post and remove that HJT log data.

It's your call, right now.

Louis

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

As there is nothing from your description or from your security scans that indicates malware, I have removed your HiJack This log. Such logs are analyzed only in the HiJack This forum which focuses on malware removal.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 JawedDoom

JawedDoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

ok well the log has been removed, thanx orange blossom. Yes please i would like to know about the things that cause system shut down, particularly the one regarding my situation.... or if this is the place please let me know where i should move the thread. And yes, before leaving my desktop, i lock the pc via taskmanager. And the pc doesnt depower, it just shuts down( as if i clicked on the shut down button).

Thanx,

Jawed

#5 JawedDoom

JawedDoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

ok well the log has been removed, thanx orange blossom. Yes please i would like to know about the things that cause system shut down, particularly the one regarding my situation.... or if this is the place please let me know where i should move the thread. And yes, before leaving my desktop, i lock the pc via taskmanager. And the pc doesnt depower, it just shuts down( as if i clicked on the shut down button).

Thanx,

Jawed

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

Have you verified that you have the correct power settings...in Control Panel?

See the data under Configuring Power Settings, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s..._02march25.mspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users