Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gamma Bob

Gamma Bob

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hello,

Since removing some malware last week, I have not been able to get any sound from my computer. Malwarebytes and my antivirus (Trend Micro) tell me I'm currently totally clean of viruses and malware, but I suspect it may have damaged some settings or files somehow while it was present. I am posting in this forum because I don't think the problem is malware related at this point, but please let me know if I am asking for help in the wrong place.

System Information:
- Dell XPS Gen 2 Computer
- Windows XP Professional
- Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
- Harmon Kardon speakers and subwoofer (HK-595)

Symptoms:
- No sound at all.
- No system sounds on startup.
- No sound from headphones.
- No sound from music CDs when inserted in drive.
- No error messages on bootup.

Things I have tried so far to figure out what is going on:

Speaker Diagnostic Mode Test
- Speaker diagnostic test generates plenty of sound from both subwoofer and satellites.

Control Panel
- Sound and Audio Devices Properties
- Volume Tab shows "No Audio Device"
- Hardware Tab shows "Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)" listed in PCI slot 3, and says "This device is working properly."
- Sounds Tab - select Asterisk and hit the play button. Error box pops up with the following text "Windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Error.wav. Your sound card may be in use."

Creative Diagnostics
- Hardware Detection - pass
- Wave - pass
- Midi - pass
- Mixer - pass
- DirectSound 3D - fail
- SoundFont - fail
- Mixer Settings - pass

Clicking fix turns SoundFont status to fixed, but leaves DirectSound as fail. Running it again shows SoundFont still failed.

Drivers
Went to Dell support page, looked up my tag number, and dowloaded and installed the recommended drivers (R80459.EXE). Rebooted. No change.

Codecs
Uninstalled existing audio codecs (after problem already started). Downloaded K-Lite Codec package. Tried the repair option in Tweak tool. No change. Log info it shows is as follows:

K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool | Log file | Generated at 2009-07-16 18:10:58

##### System Information #####

KLCP: 500 mega
DirectX: 9.0c
CPU name: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU speed: 2992MHz
Memory: 1024MB
Screen size: 1024x768 (32bits)
Video card: RADEON 9800 SERIES, 128MB
Video driver: ati2dvag.dll (version: 6.14.10.6698)
Audio card: {1} {2} Modem #4 Line Playback

System Info For Windows

PCI Section shows the following sound hardware related info (sorry if the formatting is funny):
Bus/Dev./Func. Type Class Type Manufacturer Device Name Sub System Device Vendor Sub System Device Name
02 / 02 / 00 PCI Audio Device Creative Labs EMU10K2 Audio Chipset (SB Audigy Series) Creative Labs SB0243 Audigy 2 (OEM'd For Dell??)
02 / 02 / 02 PCI OHCI FireWire Creative Labs Audigy Series Firewire Controller Creative Labs Audigy 2 Firewire Controller

Registry Peek
Looking at the registry makes me nervous, but I saw a post about Drivers32 permissions, so ran regedit and looked at:
Hkey_Local_Machine - Software - Microsoft - Windows NT - Drivers32

Shows lots of stuff over to the right that is pretty much incomprehensible to me.

Right clicking on the folder and looking at permissions shows Full Control Allow box shaded with a checkmark in it. Read is the same. Special permissions Allow is shaded, but no checkmark. Indicates I have full permissions, I think.

System Restore?
I read something about system restore points in a few posts on sound, but I really don't know much about those. Not sure if I have any older ones to try to restore or not, or if that would even be a worthwhile thing to do.

It seems to me like parts of my computer know that the sound hardware exists, but others don't. I've run out of things that I can think of to do to try and diagnose the problem and restore sound. Any help that you could provide would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm wondering if reinstalling DirectX on your computer might possibly take care of this.

Go here and download the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer and run it on your computer. This should reinstall/repair/upgrade your existing version of DirectX and possibly ( hopefully ) take care of the problems you are having.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Gamma Bob

Gamma Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

I'm wondering if reinstalling DirectX on your computer might possibly take care of this.

Go here and download the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer and run it on your computer. This should reinstall/repair/upgrade your existing version of DirectX and possibly ( hopefully ) take care of the problems you are having.

Thanks very much for the advice!

I downloaded the DirectX installer, ran the update and rebooted but it doesn't seem to have corrected the problem. The behavior when I look at the Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices tab (and also the Creative Debug tool) is the same as before.

Any other things I can try?

Edited by Gamma Bob, 17 July 2009 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users