Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LouisX

LouisX

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

Posted Image

How to i fix this problem?

OX: Window XP Home SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

Warning : Changing your Windows registry may render your computer inoperable. Please backup your Windows registry before following this process.
Read Microsoft article on backup and restore registry in Windows : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

You need to have admin access to proceed.
1. Open Start Menu > Run and type gpedit.msc and press Enter. It would open Group Policy Editor.
2. Open the following section : Computer Configuration > Admin Templates > Network > Network Connections > Windows Firewall
3. There are two sub-sections Standard Profile and Domain Profile. In both of the sections, change the value of Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections to Not Configured
4. Done.

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

Hello LouisX,

This may be perfectly normal. On my system (Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3), Control Panel > Windows Firewall reports that the Windows Firewall (the one supplied free as part of XP) is off and everything on the General tab is disabled, and includes a note at the top saying "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy". However, Control Panel > Security Center reports that the "active" firewall is ON. If you click the double down-arrow icon to the right of "Firewall" in Security Center, it will provide more details about the firewall. In my case, I'm using the firewall supplied by Windows Live OneCare, not the "Windows Firewall" which is provided free as part of XP. Windows Live OneCare disables manipulation of the "Windows Firewall" settings because it (OneCare) is providing the software firewall capabilites:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7446/scrn001a.png

This situation may also be true for other "third-party" firewalls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users