Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Disk Drive not working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cloudverl

Cloudverl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

My Disk Drive used to always work fine but recently it has stopped working. When I enter a CD for example I put in the World of Warcraft CD and my computer started making a loud noise and under my computer it said "WoW DVD (D:)" after a few minutes with a regular CD icon. Then a few minutes later the loud sound stopped and the regular CD icon turned into a red dragon carrying a CD (I'm assuming that is the WoW icon). However when I click on the icon it opens the files currently on the CD. I clicked on "installer.exe" and that made the computer make a loud buzzing sound again and in a few minutes opened the WoW installer. That worked but it is a hassle and the sound is irritating and it takes way longer than it should. Before when I first got this game I entered the Disc and the installer automatically opened within a minute. Also the sound always stops after a few minutes (I don't think it has anything to do with the problem) so if that can't be fixed it is okay.

I have a:
Dell Dimension DM051 running:
Windows XP,
Media Center Edition,
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

It has an:
Intel® Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

The Disk Drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B
Device Type: DVD/CD-ROM drives
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)
It says this device is working properly

Anyways I thought I would give you all the information so it will take less time to fix this problem. Thanks You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users