Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 25015. Failed to install assembly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jas009

jas009

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

Hi hopefully someone can help me.

I have a Western Digital External Hard, it works well however I want to install the software that came with it that will allow auto backups. The install process seems to go ok and then I get an error message:

Error 25015. Failed to install assembly ' C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.dll' because of system error:0x80131107

I have tried doing a google search on the error and tried searching Microsoft, problem is I don't know what Visual Basic is....Anyhows I went into Add/Remove Programs and I can see the following Microsoft.NET Framework:

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.0 Hotfix (KB930494)
Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0

I am running Windows XP SP2.

So anyone have any clues on how to solve this problem, would appreciate your help and would prefer the answer to be in 'Easy/Intermediate' form I know a little on how to operate computers but not to technical!!

Thanks Again
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

I would uninstall all versions of MS.NET (via Add/Remove Programs)...then reinstall the current version at http://www.microsoft.com/net/ (Click the Install it now button).

Your current install (of MS.NET) is probably damaged.

Louis

#3 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

Hi

Thanks for responding. I went to remove the first.NET program and a message came up listing all these programs that will be affected if I continue including, IE, Adobe,PC TOOLS etc what impact i this going to have should I continue????
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

Just wanted to point out that different programs use different versions of NET.Framework and not necessarily the latest version. So you have to look at the specific application and it should tell you which version it needs to run properly.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

Just remove all of them :thumbsup:.

If any application needs MS.NET to run properly...after you've installed the latest version...that program will point it out to you in clear language when you attempt to run it.

Small potatoes...if you need a different version then, just install the version suggested.

Louis

#6 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hi All,

Finally have FIXED this STUPID problem!!!!!

I did try some of the solutions provided above and it still did not work. I was about to re-download the version I had just cleaned when I was reading through the instructions it states to check Microsoft Updates... Well I do have Auto Updates configured but thought what the heck I will see, after choosing Custom installation and browsing the updates - well what do you know I find .NET version 3.5 or something - I downloaded and installed it ( It takes for ever installing!!) and now the program works!!!

So why the heck didn't the auto updates download this update to begin with????

Thanks for your input!!
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:21 AM

Because it's optional and not everyone needs it. It's not part of auto updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users