Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my PSU enough for this PC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mibbok

Mibbok

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

I just purchased a gaming PC that I built myself. The case came with a 450 watt power supply, and I'm wondering if it is enough to run my system. I've used many calculators and charts (including TigerDirect.ca's chart), and they all say it is enough. The only problem is that the PSU is VERY loud. As well, it heats up really fast. I was just wondering if this is because the PSU is like that, or am I pushing the limits of it. My computer is as follows:

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core(Stock HeatSink)
Asus M4N78 PRO Motherboard
Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
Ultra 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory(3GB Total)
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO
Wireless Network Adapter PCI Card
80mm Side Case Fan
120mm Rear Case Fan
CD/DVD RW Drive(with Writer)
500gb SATA HDD
And Multiple LEDs both on the case, and the fans.

Thank you in advance.

(Also if there is a Power Supply Calculator that scans your system it would be perfect.)

Edited by Mibbok, 16 July 2009 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:18 AM

There is nore to fetermining if a power supply is strong enough to run a unit correctly.
It depends a lot on how many rails the PSU has & how the power is arranged on the outputs.
If you post the model number of the power supply I'll look it up & tell you what you're really working with.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

Just a thought when you bought Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO was there any information that came along with it that suggested power usages or recommended power supply wattage. Just by looking at the good stuff you have got (MORE POWER) so you are not working your 450 so hard.

Edited by Layback Bear, 02 August 2009 - 01:07 PM.

#4 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

I would buy the case without the PSU because case PSUs usually suck. And get an antec EA650 650W (runs video cards rated at 700 watts usually)

#5 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

I would suggest to not use stock psu's since they are of lower quality. I think 450W -550W might be good enough for you. Also you don't want it too high because you'll be getting higher energy bills. Just like some consumer reports reviews of some high-end gaming pcs getting bills up to $1,000 a year from the pc alone (I read it a few weeks ago so don't remember exact details).

#6 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

I would suggest to not use stock psu's since they are of lower quality. I think 450W -550W might be good enough for you. Also you don't want it too high because you'll be getting higher energy bills. Just like some consumer reports reviews of some high-end gaming pcs getting bills up to $1,000 a year from the pc alone (I read it a few weeks ago so don't remember exact details).

Dude, it draws the same amount of power no matter what. If you have a 1000W psu it's not going to have higher energy bills than a 500W. Of course UNLESS you use more than 500W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users