Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly a bad PSU or motherboard??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 infinity92

infinity92

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

hey guys, i already asked in this forum about a bad RAM which is a ddr400 that crashes my programs when I insert it. I recently got tired of it so i switched back to using my 2x256mb ddr333 RAMS and i was surprised that when using it, it also crashes some programs like the javascript(jscript.dll) and quartz.dll. These ddr333 modules also crashes but not like the ddr400 where almost all programs crashes even when just installing some software.

also, i would just want to note that sometimes when powering on my pc, i smell something like the smell of burnt wires.

Could it be that my power supply is gone bad already?? or possibly my motherboard?

my power supply is a 3+ year old generic one which has 350w max output.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Being three years old, it's possible that "any" portion of your computer could be bad.

As for the "burnt wire" smell, I would suggest putting your nose close to the rear fan of the power supply and taking a good "sniff" when powering on or while the system is running. You might also want to put your hand on the case near the power supply after being on for a short time and see if it feels "quite hot".

You may also want to check the fan in the power supply and see if it's spinning at all.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

i already tried checking for the fan in the psu, it works but i touched the case and it's hot. would it help if i post the voltage readings in speedfan??

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

That would be very helpful, yes.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

Sorry, I don't know how to attach the image so i just copied it.

Vcore1: 1.49v
Vcore2: 2.50v
+3.3V: 1.60v
+5V: 5.19v
+12V: 9.86v
-12V: -7.01v
-5V: 1.38v
+5V: 4.81v
Vbat: 3.18v

There that's all...

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

3.3V: 1.60v
+12V: 9.86v

I would replace the power supply.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:28 AM

thanks for the tip guys, can you tell me what brand of PSU should i buy?

Also, what are the negative(-) (i.e. -12V and -5V) voltage readings for. they usually return very low values in speedfan in my pc.

Edited by infinity92, 17 July 2009 - 04:47 AM.

#8 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:02 AM

Would changing the power supply solve my problem on software crashes?

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:41 AM

I've had very good results with Antec, Ultra and OCZ power supplies.

With your computer receiving the correct amount of voltage, it's very possible that your lockups and crashes will cease but it is not a guarantee.

The voltages in your power supply are so low that it definately needs replaced. I'm actually surprised that your PC runs at all let alone boot, run, then crash.

As for the negative numbers, I did some searching for a more complete reference as to the voltages. It is located here.

Hope this helps,

Edited by techextreme, 17 July 2009 - 07:41 AM.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#10 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:30 AM

have u heard of Acbel IPower 560 power supply? i don't have enough budget for the antec so i just chose this. i'm still raising some money to buy this acbel power supply. would you recommend this to me?

another question, i'm currently using a 350w generic power supply which I know is very low quality. what damage can this cause if it fails in some way?

#11 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:24 AM

This is my favorite low wattage power supply.

Newegg usually has this one on sale for much less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371005

Jim

#12 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

thanks a lot guys, i just bought a new PSU and my computer got a lot faster. the boot times which got as slow as 2 mins now is just about 5-10secs. i really think that the one that causes the problem is the PSU is not supplying enough power to my computer's hardware.

i just looked in speedfan's voltage readings but it's still the same(low readings). i looked at the bios' voltage readings and it's within normal so i think speedfan is a not giving out accurate ones.

btw, i bought an acbel ipower 560 power supply because this is the only good power supply brand that is within my budget and is available in the country where i am.

can anyone give me your personal review of this PSU?

thanks again for all your help... especially to techextreme.

Edited by infinity92, 13 August 2009 - 04:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users