Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound (driver?)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

i just got this computer on ebay used. it's not outputting any sound, and i haven't been successful going through the control panel and checking settings; everything appears to be in working order, but there's just no sound coming out.

i've tested multiple sets of speakers as well as changing audio levels, etc. there's no sound whatsoever.

when i received computer, some of the interior cables were disconnected (hard drive's power cable, cable to expansion slots, and the cable from the dvd-rom to the system board, from what i found so far), so i'm halfway suspecting that there's a vital cable in the case that's disconnected.

my other theory is drivers.

so 2 questions:

if there's something that's most likely unplugged, what does it look like and where does it go?

and/or

where can i find valid driver for my specs? i've tried several, and none of them worked

relevant specs:
windows xp sp3
asus A8V-XE motherboard
'soundmax integrated hd audio' says the device manager

i'd appreciate if someone led me in the right direction :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

I suggest that you remove any drivers that are unnecessary, following this procedure.

Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Louis

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

This wouldn't happen to be an HP Pavilion would it?

EDIT

Found out it's not an HP.

Edited by techextreme, 16 July 2009 - 09:12 PM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 ultrapeaceful

ultrapeaceful

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

open up the case to see if you have a sound card. if not, your problem may be with the motherboard. try testing the sound card (if removable) in another PC. if the sound is integrated (part of the MB) you can try reinstalling the sound driver.
sound cards normally draw power from the slot. older cards may have a tiny cable to attach to another peripheral.

good luck!

ultrapeaceful

#5 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

great suggestions but none of them seemed to fix it. i'm going to investigate into whether the speaker jack itself is damaged/not working. thanks for the help,guys :thumbsup:

#6 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

update: i just recently found today that the computer has a second headphone jack (it was covered by a sliding cover that i hadn't even known functioned as a cover). when tested, it didn't work either. the microphone jacks all don't work either. i've used all the previous suggestions, including updating drivers and removing unused drivers, and nothign has work. is this a problem with my motherboard itself, and if so can buying a removable sound card possibly fix it (my current is integrated).

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

I find it highly likely that the person who owned the computer before you had a sound card and took it out before selling it. While some Mobo's/BIOS's with integrated sound have an auto detect feature for switching between onboard audio and a sound card, many do not. Unless I missed it somewhere, no one, including you lol, has suggested checking the BIOS to see if you merely need to set the sound from sound card to integrated. I forget what category that option is in, but if you don't know, post back and I'll check. I think on many it's under audio and you toggle between on and off. If it's off, toggle it on and if it's on toggle it off and see if that makes a difference after you reboot.

In answer to your last question though, the answer is yes. Since I see you are using XP, I recommend a Creative (Soundblaster) card. If you are ever thinking of switching to Vista though, don't buy Creative, they don't fully work in Vista. Again, when you put the sound card in, you need to ensure that your audio in the BIOS is correctly configured.

#8 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

I find it highly likely that the person who owned the computer before you had a sound card and took it out before selling it. While some Mobo's/BIOS's with integrated sound have an auto detect feature for switching between onboard audio and a sound card, many do not. Unless I missed it somewhere, no one, including you lol, has suggested checking the BIOS to see if you merely need to set the sound from sound card to integrated. I forget what category that option is in, but if you don't know, post back and I'll check. I think on many it's under audio and you toggle between on and off. If it's off, toggle it on and if it's on toggle it off and see if that makes a difference after you reboot.

In answer to your last question though, the answer is yes. Since I see you are using XP, I recommend a Creative (Soundblaster) card. If you are ever thinking of switching to Vista though, don't buy Creative, they don't fully work in Vista. Again, when you put the sound card in, you need to ensure that your audio in the BIOS is correctly configured.

i looked at my mobo's setup, i only found an option to turn Hi Def Audio Controller on or off, i couldn't find any other options concerning audio. does this mean i don't have the option? if so, ima go ahead and just buy a sound card.

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

The high def audio controller is the correct thing. Did you reverse the setting of whatever it was on when you checked? I haven't had to fool with this in a while, but I'm pretty sure that it should be ON for your integrated sound to work and OFF for a sound card to work. What ever it is currently on though, set it to the opposite and see if that gives you sound.

#10 Mikeperhaps

Mikeperhaps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

The high def audio controller is the correct thing. Did you reverse the setting of whatever it was on when you checked? I haven't had to fool with this in a while, but I'm pretty sure that it should be ON for your integrated sound to work and OFF for a sound card to work. What ever it is currently on though, set it to the opposite and see if that gives you sound.

no luck, there's two options, Auto or Disabled, Auto is what its been at since i received the computer, and trying Disabled makes the OS think there's no sound device.

anything else you or anyone can think of that might be the problem?

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

I would say then that the integrated sound is shot. Try a sound card and see what happens. Personally, I would buy it from a store that has a good return policy so that if that doesn't work you can take it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users