Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware/virus is hiding from me [Moved from XP]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jim FD

Jim FD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

A few weeks ago I started having issues starting my PC...very slow, sometimes 5 minutes or longer, to bring up my desk top. I am at the point now where it only boots up once out of 10 times or so. During those off times I get a blue screen. My HD is partitioned in half. One for my wife the other for me. Her side has no issues. I noticed now that internet is very slow too. I have High speed cable. I use IE 6.0. I am operating XP pro, SP 3, pentuim 4, 3.0 ghz and 512 megs ram.

I ran symantec virus scan several times and it found nothing. Its ver 10.0, engine 103.0.2.7 and its updated daily. I ran a portion of AVGAS 7.5 before it stopped cold. AdAware found nothing. I am not able to run spybot. When I try to start it I get an hour glass icon for 2 secs then nothing. I tried to download Kaspersky on line scanner and it told me I didnt have admin rights, then I tried to load combo fix and it acted like Spybot....unable to run. Then I tried to load AVGAS 8.0 and got a pop up that said the serial number was no good...to reload. I did twice and got the same result.

I deleted all of the scan programs except symantec and reloaded them thinking I might have had a corrupted program but that didnt help either

I can boot up in safe mode every time but even in safe mode I cant run the above programs. I tried windows restore and that didnt work either

So the programs that are able to run found nothing. The programs that I think will find the culprit arent allowed to run. I know theres something hiding there...my pc is deteriorating too fast not to have a bug. I just dont know how to find it

I havent run HJT yet cause I dont know what I might be looking at for deleting.

Where do I go from here? I am out of ideas. I need some help please.

Thank you, Jim D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

I would start out by doing a scan with Malwarebytes...

It can be downloaded from any of these places...

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

alternate download link 1
http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-setup.exe

alternate download link 2
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html

Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application. (If it will not download, install, or open after installation, change the name of it to whatever you want and change the .exe extension to .bat or .com or .pif or scr and then double click on it to run.)

When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings. When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected. Then click on the Scan button.
If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found". Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

After running that scan, post the log of the full results here and then download, install, update and run a quick scan with SuperAntiSpyware and post the log of the full results here. This scan may take some time to complete so please be patient.

That can be downloaded from SuperAntiSpyware.com

If it will not download, install, or open after installation, change the name of it to whatever you want and change the .exe extension to .bat or .com or .pif or scr and then double click on it to run.

If possible, both programs should be run in regular Windows, not safe mode. Allow both programs to remove whatever they find and if they tell you that you need to reboot your computer to complete the removal process, reboot.

Btw, do NOT run ComboFix on your own, doing so could lead to a computer that will be inoperable. It should only be run with expert supervision

Edited by Stang777, 16 July 2009 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users