Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect Model Name for Computer, needs changing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daneo

daneo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite P105 Laptop and I believe I have a virut so in hopes of removing any viruses and clearing out old data I've decided to use the recovery disk sent with my computer. The only problem is that a few years ago my motherboard was fried and I had it replaced by Toshiba under warranty. When they replaced it, I'm assuming the model name attached to the computer was changed as well. Since the name was changed, the disk no longer recognizes the computer as the correct model and will not start. I am running Windows XP and when I use the Toshiba diagnostic tool it is telling me that the model name is: Very strange I know, I was wondering if there was any way to change the model name on the computer in order to get the disk to run. Any other information you need, please let me know and thank you for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daneo

daneo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

Still need help :thumbsup:

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:20 PM

Ok. I've read a few things on this issue.

It seems Toshiba stores model information in the DMI strings in the BIOS. When you boot up with the Restore CD's the first thing it does is look for this string in the bios. This is normally referred to as a "BIOS Locked CD".

According to Toshiba there are 2 possible fixes. One would be to try updating to the newest Bios for your laptop. It is supposed to update the DMI on its own. Whether it will or not I'm not sure as I don't have a P105 to try this on.

The other thing you may be able to use is the 'Toshiba Notebook PC DMI Update Utility' (http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/toshdmi10.exe)

This will allow you to create a CD to boot from and pick your model and it will do the rest. Hopefully the P105 is in the list for this DMI tool from Toshiba.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 daneo

daneo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

Thank you very much, I will give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users