Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs while booting after Windows loading screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

HP laptop presario dv6000 running Windows XP Media center edition

When you turn it on, it loads all the way up to the Windows loading screen where the progress bar loads/acts normally, but the next screen is black and does not progress past this.

What I've tried:
Booting in VGA mode. Same deal.
Booting in safe mode. Starts to load the drivers/sys files, then hangs and does not progress.
Booting with "Last known good configuration". Same deal.
Hooking it up to an external monitor and doing all of the above, no change in behavior (note: when the monitor is black it doesn't go inactive - i.e. the power light is green and not orange)

Pulled the hard drive and ran checkdisk. No bad sectors.

Booted with XP CD and started the Recovery Console to attempt using some commands, but am stopped due to this error:
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3"

(Note: this particular laptop comes with a HP recovery partition)

I also ran the diagnostic utility included in the system's BIOS, hard disk Self test. Results:
Quick - Pass
Comprehensive - Pass
S.M.A.R.T. - Pass

This is what was happening before this happened (this is told second-hand, I wasn't around to see this):

The owner of the laptop went into the advanced display settings and disabled the nVidea driver in order for a presentation to show on the projector. After the projector was unhooked, they tried to re-enable the nVidea driver/reset things to previous settings. After attempting this, you could no longer boot into Windows as I described.

The owner of the laptop doesnít really want to reinstall Windows so Iím trying to exhaust all other options before going that route.

Any ideas/possible diagnosis that can help me out with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

You could try a repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

I tried doing the repair install. The first step where you press Enter to install, I get the same exact message as when I tried to run the Recovery Console:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3"

I don't know why it doesn't recognize it; maybe it's fubar!!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Have you tried booting the computer with a live Linux CD or UBCD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

Update:

I created a XP CD with SATA drivers slipstreamed in in order to get rid of the "no hard disk" error for going into the recovery console or trying to install windows/do a repair install (http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/ Special thanks to my friend Chris).

Unfortunately, there was no "repair install" option for installing Windows. SO I tried going into the recovery console and ran "fixboot" and "fixmbr" No luck.

Probably just going to do a clean reinstall at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users