Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire L5100 Desktop Loses Network Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Ok, I'm banging my head against the wall so I figured I'd ask for a fresh look. I have a home network that's a mix of powerline, Wireless-N and wired gigabit. Everything works and plays great with each other (other computers, home server, xbox, etc.)...

...EXCEPT for my wife's computer. I got her an Acer Aspire L5100 Desktop a few months back. It's running Vista. When it first turns on it works great. About 20-30 minutes into the session, it locks up. Initially I attributed it to standby with a USB Wireless-N connection and not restoring properly, so I disabled hibernation, standby, and even edited the Network settings to prohibit the card itself from sleeping. No joy...it didn't hibernate or standby, but we still lost our internet connection on it. The rest of the network plays fine. I also updated the drivers of course. Interestingly, I couldn't ipconfig release/renew to get it back, I had to reboot.

So...I decided to try a cat-5 connection via a Linksys PLE300 powerline adaptor. Same issues. Still requires a reboot after 30 minutes.

I'm obviously missing something stupid and I'm so deep in it I've lost sight of what it could be. Happy to provide any and all specs. The other devices work great on the network.

I do wonder if it's the firewall. I have a third-party firewall on her computer, but I know I Vista's is two-way. I think I'll remove Zonealarm and see what happens.

Thanks!

PS> I strongly believe it's software since USB Wireless and wired Gigabit cat-5 all have the same issue.

Edited by etavares, 16 July 2009 - 05:32 PM.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Nevermind....I think it was the firewall. Uninstalled it, reactivated the WIndows Vista firewall and no issues after 3+ hours.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users