Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware, Windows Failure, or Hardware Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saiyun

saiyun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Problem:
My computer would occasionally freeze but my mouse would still work. Mouse would still move and click but the application and computer will have no response to it. Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+F4, Ctrl+Shift+ESC will have no effect when it freeze. There is no specific application that freeze my computer. It will freeze when I'm using Firefox, IE, or just watching a movie. The time are random as I have gone 4 hours straight without freezing when downloading files. It does seem like it has a higher chance to freeze up when I use more memory intensive application.

When it started:
Started this Tuesday July 14, I was in the process of updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and I opened a window that cause several pop ups. I closed all the windows and then after a few seconds the computer freeze. At the time, Malwarebytes was just about to install the updated client and was in the middle of it but it freeze along with my computer. After I hard boot the computer back on, I started to use Firefox to contine to browse the internet but after a few minutes it will freeze again.

What I have tried:

I have reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware after the fail update and ran a scan to clean my computer. I have also use SuperAntiSpyware to clean my computer. I've use the Eset Online Scanner and Symantec online scanner to check for virus.

Then I uninstall Firefox and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and still I have the problem. I went to Windows Update to get all the essential updates, upgrade IE from 6.0 to 8.0, and defrag my hard drive using Diskkeeper. I scan my HD with HDTune, repair registry with Advanced System Care, and finally use System Restore to go back to July 10th.

Then to check for hardware problems, I used Dell's Diagnostic Tool at boot up to test my hardware component and they all passed.

Could anyone help me figure out if it is a malware/virus that is causing it to freeze or is it something else? I would greatly appreciate all of your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Your scans found nothing? What is your Operating System,XP,Vista ???/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 saiyun

saiyun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

I'm using a Dell Dimension E521 with Windows XP SP3 installed. All the scan found was common tracking cookies.

I would rather get a blue screen of death then the computer freezing with no clue where I could look.

Edited by saiyun, 16 July 2009 - 04:09 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

This sound s like a Hard or software issue not malware... You should start a new topic in the Vista forum and have them work it out.. thanks...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users