Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two keys on keyboard are typing two letters at same time. Huh??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coppedge

coppedge

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Whenever I have to type an "i" or a "p", I get this: io or IO, plus po and PO.

I've tried the Num Lk key--didn't change a thing. Is this a virus? A keyboard short? I've taken them off and cleaned all keys a few weeks ago with a slightly moistened Qtip. Did that mess them up?

Help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Let's first rule out the chance that it is malware, and then we will go from there.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#3 coppedge

coppedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi. I already had the notification on. I ran Malware a few weeks ago, but am doing it again right now, with updates. I'll let you know and thanks so much for helping. I've already had to remove so many extras o's and i's just to write this to you. What a pain.

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

I can imagine your pain. Hopefully Malwarebytes won't find anything, but you never know.
Computer Pro

#5 coppedge

coppedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

No malicious items found. What would be my next step??

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Before going so far into malware discussion, let's keep this topic focused on keyboard issues. There are several possibilities that haven't been examined and there are no other indications at this point that this is related to an infection. I'm going to remove the latest post in order to keep this topic in the XP forum.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,735 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi coppedge :thumbsup:

Let's try an easy check first. Does switching the keyboard solve your problem?

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 16 July 2009 - 05:59 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#8 coppedge

coppedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

Blade, what does switching the keyboard mean? I only have my laptop keyboard..

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,735 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

ah. . . my apologies, I didn't realize we were dealing with a laptop. :thumbsup: The keyboard can still be changed, but the method for doing so along with the exact keyboard required varies depending on the manufacturer and model of the laptop. Instructions may be available on the manufacturer's website, or you may contact your manufacturer's technical support department. Alternatively, you can start a topic in the External Hardware forum detailing your problem and giving the make and model of the laptop, and someone may be able to get that information to you.

You can however, try connecting an external keyboard that has a USB connection. These can be purchased from many electronics retailers for relatively little cost.

One other thing you can try is inspecting the "I" "O" and "P" keys for damage. The possibility certainly exists that damage was caused by your cleaning.

~Blade

EDIT: One additional question, does the "O" key function completely normally?

Edited by Blade Zephon, 16 July 2009 - 06:45 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!

#10 coppedge

coppedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

The "O" key functions normally.

#11 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,735 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

alright. . . let me know about damage to the keyboard. Also, note any weird behavior when using the malfunctioning keys (increased resistance, clicking sounds, stuff like that).

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 16 July 2009 - 08:10 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users