Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When ataport.sys, freezing and chkdsk ruin my PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Ok,
My vista is Ultimate edition SP2 Greek 32bit.

The problems started long ago, when I had them running on my laptop (specs in my signature) with 512 RAM.. I upgraded to 2GB RAM. And had clean Vista install.

Now whats the core of the problem.

DATA_INPAGE_ERROR for ataport.sys and BSODs. Computer is freezing for some seconds too. Like CRC without any warnings.
My booting time (not startup, just boot) is at least 7 minutes. A problem that occured WITHOUT any add/removing of hard-soft-ware.

Today, I turned on laptop, and had a CHKDSK on my C: partition. It found some orphaned files, 1 bad cluster and nothing else. When it rebooted - still lasted 7-8 mins - and had a quick BSOD - I didnt have the chance to even glance at it, it restarted.

I tried to make REPAIR with the OS DVD.

It couldnt find the Installation Partition, and I am not THAT advanced to manually guide the wizard to the drivers of the hard disk.
It warned that "C:\ Needs Format Before It Can Be Used". I pressed cancel and opened the CMD to try a fixboot.

I typed "C:" so to change my source, but alas! it warned me about a "CRC" problem.
I opened notepad to see if with its browser is easy to backup some files to my secondary master. No avail. Again "C:\ Needs to be formatted...blah blah". I pressed cancel.

I opened the System Recovery console. It couldnt do anything though, since it warned me that no SR Points found on my HDisks. That's a lie, I have many points in my RS automatically.

So last thing I could do was a Startup Repair which succeeded. But I don't know for how long. Booting delay still persists, and I am very afraid that it won't be the first time I done it, there will be more.

My ataport.sys Is very persistant to failure. I have done 3 to 5 formats trying to fix it.

Now, I need your help and an answer to this:
Could my installation DVD could be faulty?

I went to a technitian 3 months ago when the first ataport.sys BSOD appeared and said that he checked my disk and it's as good as new.

I am afraid that chkdsk could prolly be the core of the problem.

Please help me, I will post anything you ask me for!

Blessed be :huh:

Edited by Shadowdance, 16 July 2009 - 12:42 PM.

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

Somebody?

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

I would still suspect the hard drive
Go to the manufacturer's support site and download their diagnostic utility
I did find this little tidbit
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943170
not sure if it pertains to you or not
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

I would still suspect the hard drive
Go to the manufacturer's support site and download their diagnostic utility
I did find this little tidbit
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943170
not sure if it pertains to you or not

Unfortunately, Toshiba doesnt have a diagnostic software :huh: and their site is very much confusing :huh: :huh:

I will download this "tidbit", thank you for digging for me :D but just one question; wasnt this hotfix obtained in SP1? Cause I ve read thru Google an article that the problem with atapi or ataport was fixed after Sp1...

I ve downloaded a trial of "ActiveSMART" and shows Perfomance great, and so HD Health :huh:

Thank you for replying, very much - looking forward to the next reply B)

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

Corrupt SATA driver?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

Corrupt SATA driver?

I dont know but this hotfix you gave me is not executable anymore, something like that it said O.o

How will I know if my driver is corrupt? :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users