Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display on Monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

Helo
Just as the topic states a computer in our house is not displaying on the monitor, I switched with another monitor and same thing. When I access the computer through Logmein I do get a connection but the display is smaller then normally. Is it the video card? I will open it up now to check the memory is seated right but it hasn't been moved for quite some time.

A Dell dimension 4500 with a 19" dell monitor. I think I did change the video card some time ago and through out the original vid card about 6 months ago :-(

Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

Try starting your computer in safe mode ( if you can see the bios boot screen ).

If you cannot see that screen either, it may very well be a bad video card.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

No that doesn't work. When I acessed it through logmein the only display showing is the logmein driver. I accessed the devise manager and didn't find anything as far as a yellow question mark or even a listing for the display driver which I think is a GeForce 5500
It is a dell 4400 with a 1024 ram so what would be a decent video card? I'm thinking of going with a GeForce 5500 256mg which I think was in there

Edited by tpm, 16 July 2009 - 12:33 PM.

Tom

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

The 5500 will probably be more than suficient if you don't do too much "hard" gaming.

According to Dell's site, that machine was offered with (1) ATI and (4) different Nvidia cards. None of which was the 5500.

There are much higher powered video cards out there that would allow much more gaming performance, but I would caution you on going much higher than the 5500 with the Original Power Supply.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

Right now I am bidding on a PNY GeForce FX 5200 256 MB Graphics Card NEW SEALED and took out old card which is a GeForce 5500 256mg. The present card has on it in a green box 256 AGP. Not sure what the AGP stands for so I hope the card I am bidding on is compatible.
Ps. I upgraded the card sometime back although the old one was working OK (and I threw it out)
Tom

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

A picture of an AGP slot can be found here. It is the Brown slot connector in the picture.

Thought I would also add this one so you can see what the edge of an AGP card looks like. Here.

Hope this helps,

Edited by techextreme, 16 July 2009 - 02:32 PM.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the pics :thumbsup: