Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing internet connection after 5 mins.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HKD

HKD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

I had some problems with a virus on my pc earlier this week but have since sorted the problem. I have to PCs wired to the same router and after 5 or so minutes browsing I lose my internet connection on one of them. If I switch off the router for a couple of minutes and then back on I'll get a few more minutes of browing before I recieve the page load error. Filters are present in the only phone line connection. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 steelysteelers23

steelysteelers23

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

Have you tried switching the two ports that the computers are in? It's rare but a port can go bad and cause that problem.

Also, are you 100% positive that the virus problem was taken care of? Most of the time an infection does cause connectivity problems, you might still have something lingering around in your computer.

#3 HKD

HKD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

I've tried switching ports but no success. I suppose it is possible there is still something on the PC somwhere although I've scanned with avira, eset, malwarebytes and have nice looking hijack this logs.

#4 Quilla

Quilla

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

I've tried switching ports but no success. I suppose it is possible there is still something on the PC somwhere although I've scanned with avira, eset, malwarebytes and have nice looking hijack this logs.

It could also be the NIC inside your pc but I agree if you just got rid of a bug, you may still have damage related to that bug. Just in case this bug got into your networking try this. Goto device mgr and delete the driver for your NIC. Then reboot the pc and let it reload the driver. This will reload the NIC drivers and essentially default all your network settings.

You might also try another NIC. In rare cases it might be a cabling issue as well so consider swapping cables just to make sure you haven't forgotten anything.
My favorite Broadband Speed Test is at ISPgeeks.com Can't find me here? Find me there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users