Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows is not genuine? is there a malware that exhibits this behavior?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zarraza

zarraza

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

This doesn't really fit in the "am I infected" because I have run all kinds of spyware apps in vain.

So I thought I'd ask here

Has anyone ever seen a spyware / malware/rootkit that says your copy of windows is not genuine? I'm pretty sure the guy that has this is on the up and up, but he keeps getting a popup that says his windows isn't genuine

I did a google search but came up with very little, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is this a piece of malware? or am I to assume his windows is genuinely not genuine?

If it is in fact possible for this to be infected - then maybe it needs to be moved to the "am I infected" forum?!?!?!?!

Thanks all

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 16 July 2009 - 11:01 AM.
Moved from General Chat - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Windows Genuine Advantage is not 100% reliable in detecting actually non-genuine versions of Windows (not by a looooooooong shot)

The notification should have info about contacting Microsoft. Contact them and explain the situation to them. If they believe you then they can help you fix it. If not... there's always Linux! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users