Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

surround sound

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 liftey

liftey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:55 AM

Hello can anyone help,i want to set up a surround sound system which includes my PC/TV/DVD player is this possibly and also to have a speaker switching unit included

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HJT Noob

HJT Noob

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

Sorry, I'm not a sound expert, but I don't think what you are asking for is possible. You could try hooking up a surround sound system to the T.V. and using an S-audio cable from the computer to the T.V. when using the computer, but that is the only method I can think of.

Normally you wouldn't ever want to buy computer surround sound speakers for a T.V. because they are meant to go arround a small computer as oppose to a T.V. and couch. If you did go with the origional S-audio cable plan, you would have a very good quality surround sound system for computer standards.

#3 MartyGeek

MartyGeek

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:38 AM

I did this for a mate of mine a while back.

I used the following components:

* Creative 5.1 speakers with sub (Logitech Z680 or above is good, too)
* TV with at least two A/V inputs
* Soundcard capable of 5.1 (for budget, can't beat Creative Live 5.1 series)
* 2 x RCA male (standard A/V type cable) to 1 x 3.5mm stereo male (the standard plug at the end of headphones) adapter
* Graphics card capable of at least RCA output

Method:

* Plug DVD and Computer video output into TV, noting which A/V input is used. For best results, use SuperVideo plug, if available, rather than standard RCA
* Plug DVD output into computer audio input (digitally is the best, if you can)
(Personally, I would just ignore the DVD player, and use the computer's DVD playing capabilities. If you have an NVidia card, grab NVidia's hardware DVD decoding software, which kicks arse)
* Plug 5.1 speakers into computer
* Set up speakers around the room as per instructions (I've found that a towel underneath the sub can reduce reverberations if you place the sub inside a TV unit). You may have to extend the rear speaker cables, if so just use standard zip cable, and ensure you wrap the junctions in plenty of tape to avoid any wires touching another. If possible, use a soldering iron for this, otherwise, just twist the cables together as best you can, and wrap each wire in tape.

Above works well with a 2.1 high power computer speaker system as well. It is amazing how good they can sound in a small room or apartment. I use and recommend Creative 2.1 speakers. (And no, I don't have shares in Creative ;-) )

What else? Hmmm, grab yourself a wireless keyboard and mouse to complete the "armchair nerd" image.

And, for the REAL wow factor, grab a video projector. TV's are SO old school.... ;-)

If you just want DVD video with great sound, grab a DVD player that already has 5.1 outputs, and just plug the Creative or Logitech 5.1 speakers straight into the sound system with three of those adapters mentioned earlier. I also did this for a mate, and he was amazed. Total cost for setup was about $200 Australian!

M :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users