Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm caused EXTREMELY Slow Boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zziggy

zziggy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

I had the XP firewall shut off because I was using Zonealarm.
I tried EVERYTHING I could to get the computer to boot up like it used to, which was very quickly.

Once I deleted ZONEALARM, the computer was booted up in about a minute vs the nearly 3 minutes when Zonealarm was installed.

I'm back to using the XP firewall for now.

Does anyone recommend a different firewall??

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

The XP firewall serves the purpose quite well.

Those who use 3d-party firewalls...do so primarily because they want more information/control about Internet activity. Not everyone wants such and no one needs it...it's optional computer behavior.

Louis

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

I used to use ZoneAlarm until it did basically what it did to you. ZA is a good (excellent!) firewall but something the developers did (I don't know what) caused this behavior in some cases. I now use Comodo as my firewall. It's free and 99% as good (in my opinion) as ZA.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:21 AM

I like Comodo also, among the firewalls I have used.

ZA was the only one that I had problems with, yet it's probably the most widely used by those who aspire to a 3d-party firewall. I guess the initials are easy on the brain.

I currently use the XP firewall on one system, while using Sunbelt free on the other system :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

I have used Zone Alarm, Nortons, and now I'm using Kaspersky. If you have AUTO UPDATES on they all do it at a different time during the computer start up. It varies from brand and year. Also it will vary according to your internet speed when on auto update. If you have internet security ( which ever one you use) set to scan at start up it will take longer. Some systems do this when set at default and most will give you a choice when loading them. I set mine to auto update and no scan, then go drink some coffee. Works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users