Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Update without IE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bartolo

Bartolo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

I understand that Windows 7 allows the removal of IE. If I do that, how does MS Update work?

Under XP when I visit MS Update via my control panel it automatically fires up IE for the monthly update process. Can I use another browser for MS Update when there is no IE on my computer? IE is not my default browser now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

You can't.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

Wikipedia has some info on your question. How accurate it is--I wouldn't know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_Internet_Explorer

Here is one paragraph from Wikipedia:

One of Microsoft's arguments during the United States v. Microsoft trial was that removing Internet Explorer from Windows may result in system instability. At least one commentator supports this argument, and notes that removing Internet Explorer will also disable Windows Update, leaving the user without vital security updates to the operating system.[19] This overlooks the use of a 3rd party security update solution like the browser plugin WindizUpdate[20] that can check for and perform updates without using Windows Update. As well, almost all Windows Updates can be downloaded from the Microsoft homepage directly.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

WindizUpdate has stopped providing updates for some time now, so that this doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

It's not "Good Bye" - we haven't been shut down by MS; and we have no plans to sell the domain name, or turn it into one of those cybersquatter search pages.

But we have to move on. The site will still be operational, but no new updates will be added.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

Then there is this: (which I have not used--)
http://lifehacker.com/software/updates/dow...dows-228770.php
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

You don't need IE or any browser to get Windows Updates.
There is a facility within W7 specifically for the purpose of updating.
Open Control Panel.Click System and Security.There you will find Windows Updates.
Hope this helps
Regards

#7 Bartolo

Bartolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

Bartolo