Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no sound at all

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:35 AM

Hi. I've looked through some of the other posts titled "no sound" but haven't found any recent ones with answers so I'll try here...

Turned the computer on yesterday and have got no sound at all from internet or any music or video files. I've checked that it isn't shown muted on the icon in the bottom right of the screen, and the sound doesn't work through headphones either... I have no idea what I should be checking next, so any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers, Moose.

Not sure if it's connected but I ran a check with webroot spysweeper and it tells me I've got something called "Taskmgn" infecting the computer, and I've got no idea how to get rid of that either - it hasn't been picked up by AdAware, Norton or Spybot Search and Destroy which I also run.

For what it's worth these are my computer details (I think)

Dell dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading technology (no idea, just copying it!)
3.0GHz 800fsb and 1MB cache
8x/4x DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD
120GB 1st SATA hard drive (7200rpm) with 8MB Databurst cache
512MB DDR 400 Dual channel memory (2x256)
Creative Labs 5.1 Audigy2 Audio card
128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP Pro SP2

Cheers again. Moose.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

TASKMGN is definitely a hitherto unidentified piece of malware and you need to clean it off your PC first, then sort out your sound problem if it still exists.
To get rid of taskmgn you need to run HijackThis and submit the log-file to the appropriate forum for analysis and advice on how to proceed.

Edited by pip22, 10 July 2005 - 03:21 PM.

#3 MartyGeek

MartyGeek

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:45 AM

You could also try re-running the setup of the Creative Sound card.

I have a Sound Blaster Live, and it does this to me on occasion. I have found over the years to just keep re-installing when it happens.

Maybe the solution, worth a try.

M :thumbsup:

Ah, yes and as for the Taskmgn thing, reboot your computer to Safe Mode, then run (recently updated) versions of the software you have installed for removal of such things.

Edited by MartyGeek, 17 July 2005 - 01:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users