Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lots of registry problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bryan5255

bryan5255

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:27 AM

My computer keeps telling me it has errors with different registry files for practically even program I use. It keeps telling me to run 'Chkdsk utility'. I have run it several times with minimal results. At this moment I am typing this on my phone because my browser doesn't even work. It either sits there forever trying to load or it randomly reboots my computer. It will also randomly reboot in the middle of other programs.

Also I can't seam to update anything on my computer. This includes my anti virus 'tend micro' and the XP service pack 3 along with several other programs. I did check and the internet is working on my computer though. programs such as skype and online games work just fine. However, the computer will randomly reboot itself while in them just like all the other programs as stated earlier.

Because of all the registry error messages I get I would assume that it has something to do with the registry, but that's just my guess. Either way I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

Hi bryan5255,

These problems might be related to malware. But lets first check driver problems. Lets take a look in the Device manager. Click Start and select Run, In the box that opens type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

Look in the list if there are any devices with an ! or ? in front of them. If you find any, please list them here.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 bryan5255

bryan5255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

I just did that and the only one with a ! or a ? next to it was 'motorola usb modem #2'. I've had a different phone for a while now, so that not working shouldn't effect things.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

My computer keeps telling me it has errors with different registry files for practically even program I use. It keeps telling me to run 'Chkdsk utility'.

Can you please post an example of such an error message?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

<<It keeps telling me to run 'Chkdsk utility'>>

My question: Did you follow the suggestion...and run chkdsk on the C: partition?

Louis

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

Have you down loaded any programs and I mean any. I mean any thing, TIME AND TEMP. a nice looking clock, desktop picture, anything. Have you run any registry cleaner of any kind. Have you run any free scan for what ever reason; if so please list. This sounds like some thing sneaked in the back door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users